Is Swimming In A Lake Bad For Your Dog?

My friend has a dog and she lets her dog swim in a nearby lake. I used to do it with my dog, so I see nothing wrong with it.Someone told me that it was bad for the dog to do this. Is it? Just wondering

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pets

• No. Sounds like a great time to me!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes it is. There are many pathogens that live in and around lake waters that are bad for domestic animals. Cryptosporidiosis and Giardia are a few diseases they can come down with as well as Salemonella etc.
    MikaNTey314

Answer by MikaNTey314 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It is great excersise for dogs. The only negative thing I can think of is that my lab mix sprained his tail swimming but it was not a big deal. I couldn't imagine not letting him swim he loves it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• if its the lake nearest to my house i would say yes it is...some lakes may be cleaner. The lake near my house though has been shut down many times because of all the duck poop in it..its really nasty. I can't believe people actually still take their kids to swim there
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would recommend a shallow slow moving river. lakes are fine just make sure its not a dirty one before you go. rivers have the flowing water so they tend to be cleaner than lakes but either way letting your dog swim is a great excersice.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No, as others have said it's great fun for exercise for them.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• There are bad amoebas that live in the bottom of lakes when the water gets warm-ish. Getting these amoebas into your system is easy through the nose, ears and mouth and they can kill a person or a dog. Also there are problems when feces from birds gets too bad and you don't know about either of these things unless the water is tested daily.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If the lake is clean and hasn't been closed for humans to swim in then it should be great fun for a dog!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If it's good enough for humans to swim in then I would think it's ok for dogs. Ours loves the water. She has swam in lakes and rivers. If really concerned just give them a bath when they are done swimming.
    stedim

Answer by stedim at 10:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• naw
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010