how do I get some weight off my daughter?

My daughter has always been off the charts for both height and weight. The doctor has never been concerned because Kylie is so tall. But I think it is starting to catch up with my daughter. She will be 8 years old at the beginning of next month and I do feel she is over weight. It is not like she sits around and watches tv either. We eat very healthy and do excersise. I have signed her up for the afternoon program at the Y, she goes horse back riding and plays a lot outside. I do not allow her to have junkfood very often either I do not keep it in the house. I am going to take her to the doctor because I do think blood work is in order. Realisticly I don't think she needs to lose much weight but I want her to be at a healthy weight. I feel like maybe I am missing something. Are there better activities she could participate in that are maybe more active? I am looking into soccer but we do live in a rural area.

KyliesMom5

Asked by KyliesMom5 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• What is her height and weight?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with gulfcoastmom, what is her height and weight?

What about playing softball, soccer, etc as a family? If you are looking into the YMCA then get a family membership and swim together and go up there and play sports and such! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The Y closest to us does not have a pool. We became members over the summer and were very disappointed by this. That is one thing Kylie loves to do is swim. The other Y is almost an hour away. Doing that every now and then would be fine but I can't see going to it on a regular basis.
    KyliesMom5

Comment by KyliesMom5 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• what about dance arobics? you could get/ rent DVD's and do it with her from home
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I will get to yall about her weight and weight she is at the Y right now and I honestly don't know exactly how tall she is.
    KyliesMom5

Comment by KyliesMom5 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My daughter who's 8 weighs 100 lbs. and she's almost 5 ft. tall.She's off the charts for her weight and heigth.She doesn't do that much running around,she mostly takes walks,rides her bike and swims.The doctor told me to give her 5 fruits and vegetables a day, to help her loose weight.Are you tall?Both my husband and I are tall but we were never overweight as kids.I think she sits around too much.Can you send me a message,I'd like to keep in touch with you about this.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 7:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No, Both her dad and I got the short genes in our families. But there are tall relitives in mine for sure. I actually have a cousin that was as tall as an 8 year old when she was 4 yrs old.
    KyliesMom5

Comment by KyliesMom5 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• just get the dvds..i think they still sell the teen excercise dvd..or a dance dvd..i actually got mine kicks a kickboxing dvd..we all use it..my 15 yr old dn to my 2 yr old..
    we kickbox every other day...an every other day we do hip hop abs..only because i will not be watching my boys doing belly dancin with me an my girls...also its a great bonding moment to for me an my 4 kids..they love it
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well, maybe a thyroid condition. However, I think it may be too soon to say. I went through puberty early, so..........in 4th grade at 8 years old, I weighed 77, in 5th grade I weighed 95lbs, in 6th grade I weighed 112lbs...............................all while I was 4'11"...................yes, I haven't grown since 4th grade...lol.

So, mind you, I am now 31 years old and 112lbs. I have had weight fluctuations throughout my life, but despite my rapid weight gain in middle school...I am still very thin. You're daughter may be about to experience puberty.

I hope that it is nothing more than this! Good luck and God Bless!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Kylie is 4 ft 5 inches tall and weighs 107
    KyliesMom5

Comment by KyliesMom5 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010