Do you ever want to smack the parents of mentally challenged kids?

Not just for being the parent of a mentally challenegd kid, LORD NO! But those that think they have to treat their child like they are oblivious to the world and who think their kid can't have NORMAL interactions with other children and such?

My SO's ex treats their daughter like this. She acts as if she can't possibly be expected to potty train because she is challenged. SHE IS FIVE!

She doesn't put her in normal toddler clothes, she puts her in those frumpy old fashioned clothes even when we send her nice outfits home to wear.

She doesn't try to teach her to wear & use pull-up's yet complains that she is always getting staph infections and rashes from wearing diapers.

She doesn't try to teach her to speak or use manners because "she won't understand anyways".

I JUST WANT TO SMACK HER!

Just because her child has a mental handicap DOES NOT MAKE HER STUPID!

How do you feel about parents who do

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sometimes I want to smack the parents of non mentally challenged children.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes. Too many of them simply add to the difficulties that the child will have in life, by not teaching them the things they will need to be successful, instead relying on the excuse "can't".
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You live with her every other weekend. Her mother lives with her every day. You have no idea the challenges that presents. My son didn't fully train until he was 5. He didn't tie his own shoes until he was 8. He still requires much more supervision and instruction to complet the simplest of tasks. No, he is not stupid, but he requires more repition of instruction, redirection to remain on task and review for retention. Maybe you could communicate in a nonjudgemental way with the mother and help in providing consistent routines that would assist this child on a path to independence.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree she is holding her back.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's is supposed to say, "How do you feel about parents who do this to their children?"
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I donot like it when parents do this. I don't want to slap them though. The parents may just not realise that mentally challenged people can learn things. Some people still have that old time thinking. They just don't know any better. If the paernt does know menatlly challenged people can learn and still doesn't teach the child things it is sad, it just hurts the child in the long run.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 4:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well......maybe she dresses her daughter the way that *she* prefers. After all, it is her daughter and she may not like the clothes you send.

And pull-ups are also diapers. Just without velcro closures.

Geez. MYOB.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 4:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• wow. RUDE! They are the same as any other child. I'll smack her for you!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well I know a family who's one daughter was schizophrenic. She did some wild and crazy things (I won't even go there) and they would always say "It's part of her thing". WHAT? However, she was 22 or older and totally abused that. It was like her "go ahead" to do anything stupid she wanted to. So for me I preferred to "smack" her. I never said I hated anyone until I met her and I don't think I've ever said it since her. But anyway...

Disclaimer: I am not talking about schizophrenic people. I am talking about a CERTAIN schizophrenic person.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I had a kid at the playground try to get me to pick him up several times. I said, " Um Stranger danger! I don't know you!" His mom eventually stopped chatting and redirected him (I'd guess about 5 years old). Little while later, happens again. Little while later I hear kids moms' friend say to her " Did you find him?" " yeah, he wandered all the way across the soccer field." She then made more comments about the boys' AUTISM!! Yikes! I really wanted to slap that mom for being so unobservant!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010