How do you get a toddler to STAY in their BED?!?!??!?!?!

My son just turned 2 and we are expecting another next month. He has been happy in his crib and I was content to let him stay in there for atleast another month or two. He, however, learned how to crawl out 3 days ago and now I can NOT get him to stay in there!! He has NOT had a nap in 3 days and he got out last night at 1:30 in the morning!! I tried taking his mattress out and putting it on the floor (I have to wait til next week to get his bed) and that didn't work!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I'm losing my mind!!!!!

coolcat26

Asked by coolcat26 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just keep putting him back in bed, or let him get out and keep the door closed/put up a baby gate. My oldest slept right inside the door to his room for several weeks after we put him in a twin bed. My 22 month old just switched from his crib to a twin bed and I also have a 2 month old, so I know how you feel. He gets out of his bed sometimes (we have a video monitor), but he eventually crawls back up there to sleep. I think the novelty of him being able to get out is getting old for him.

Answer by missanc at 4:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nanny 911 style.. no talking - just putting back over and over and F-ing OVER again.. My one friend on their first night did it 147 times.. my son although he stays in bed, won't SLEEP all night long anymore since converting to big boy bed..and he will wake up sometimes and walk out so now I sleep on the couch with the monitor under my pillow - ugh.. I feel you mommy.. oh and yeah, my son stopped napping too once the crib was done.. :( at least you aren't alone cause I don't have advice..sorry GL mommy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When you find out, let me know. My daughter is in a toddler bed, that worked for a while, then she pulled the "there's monsters" and everything else. :/
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My two year old will get out of her bed, too, so we put up a baby gate to keep her in her room. It only took like two nights and she stopped.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• just put in back in there over and over. Or before bed just tell him if yuo sleep in your bed all night and NOT get out or anything you can have a candy. All kids lov candy. Maybe that will heklp. Just buy a big bag of candys and only give 1 when he sleep in the bed all night without gettin up
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• if you can remove one of the sides of the crib it can be kinda like a toddler bed. i am worried for when my son learns to crawl out of his crib too cuz i know he will not stay in his crib. the super nanny or nanny 911 one of those shows had a lady who had a son who wouldn't go to bed and she told her just keep putting him in the bed and eventually he will get tired enough to go to sleep. but you will probably have a few horrible nights of no sleep. the nannies also said the first time you can say it's bed time, good night, then the next time, say good night, then the next time don't say anything, then the next time don't even look at him, just put him in bed. if you don't hug him or give him the attention he's wanting by getting out of bed eventually he will learn to stay in bed. good luck!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• oh yeah and the baby gate idea is a good one. i figured when i finally put my son in a toddler bed he'd be sleeping right up next to the toddler gate for a while
    Butterflysky_24