Is this a good idea?

I need to get off of caffeine. I'm not someone who is getting off of it because of any reason other than the fact that I drink too much of it, and I want to be healthier for the baby...and I don't want it to start bouncing around in my tummy from a coffee high. lol. So anyway, I've decided rather than going cold turkey, I'm going to go gradually. I started this morning with half of my regular coffee (espresso roast from starbucks), the other half, "half-caff" from Folgers. Once I've done that a couple of days, then I'm going to go all "Half-Caff", then half "Half-Caff", half Decaff, then full decaff. Is that a good idea? Sorry if it's confusing lol.

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 4:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Health

• Sounds good to me.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's ok to have 1 cup a day. I would try to just go with 1 cup and then stop altogether. I would definitely stop the espresso though.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I couldn't handle the acid from my beloved coffee with my final pregnancy, so i started adding hot cocoa to my coffee and lots of milk. About a half cup of coffee, half packet of cocoa mix, topped with milk. Yum! What you described would have killed me... no caffeine at all, yikes!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I drank coffee when I was preggers-I think that's why my daughter is off the wall. lol.
    Starbucks/Caribu were my best friends. lol (like 3 times a day) My daughter loves coffee though...
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• sounds good to me but if u start feeling like u have no energy and getting headaches then maybe u will have to stretch it out alittle longer. I tried cutting out caff. and i felt horrible at first. I still havent gotten all the way off but im down to half a soda a day to keep me feeling normal. Im kinda scared i guess to drop that half. I dont wanna feel like that ever again.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• So, I would say yes, if you don't want your child off the wall like mine. :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Actually, Espresso is LESS caffeinated (about 100mg/shot vs. 8oz drip coffee= 130mg). The darker the roast, the more caffeine has been roasted out, FYI.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Decaf is just as bad as regular coffee. The process of decaffeinatingis bad. I think you should just cut back tell you are just drinking 1 cup a day.  Remember caffeine is in sodas too. And tea.

Answer by louise2 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I've tried really hard to drink just one cup a day, and it just doesn't work. The reason I've not just gone cold turkey is the same reason it doesn't work to just cut back. I get headaches from lack of caffeine, as expected, but everytime I get a headache, I risk having a seizure. (I have a seizure disorder, dr has already evaluated me it)
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I had a cappuccino every day when i was pregnant with my twins and they're fine. I think it would be far more dangerous for your baby if you had a seizure than if you have a cup of coffee. Lots of people don't cut out caffein when they're pregnant.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2010