Is $10/hr too much? ....

I just applied to a for a nannie position, and in the subject line it said " looking for a stay at home mom, looking to make a little extra $$$$" in the description it said " you are more than welcome to bring your child with you, and the pay is $10/hr" I applied for this job, and she replied with "are you planning to bring your son, and what is the pay rate?" I replied that yes I would be bringing my son and that I would need at least $10/hr. She then replies with "since you will be bringing your son with you, I was going to pay less, I can find someone without children for $10/hr." I am not saying anything bad about this person or anything like that, but why would you post pay as being $10/hr and that it was fine to bring your child if it isn't? What would your opion/reaction be? ( Just wondering )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• 10 isn't enough in my opinion
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'd tell her she posted for $10 an hour, your child allowed and it's false advertising to do otherwise. She should have said $10/hr. without own child, less if bringing your own.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's rediculous. Let her find someone else.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 4:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I do not think that this negotiation should have started until you had met and were seriously considering each other.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would just ask what the difference is. Maybe they are gonna pay less because they think ur child will be eating and drinking things that they are paying for out of there pocket. If that is the case i would understand a little why the pay would be different. But if its not that then i would probably just ask the person to find someone else because my child should not affect how i work in a nanny situation.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• $10 an hour for one child is right on target, whether you bring your son or not! If there are two children, I would say $12 an hour.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think it's quite kind for an employer to allow you to bring your own child along when working.

Her advertisement was poorly worded, but it is her right to pay as she sees fit. She's likely right, she'll easily be able to fill the position for $10 an hour to a person who's full attention will be on her child.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would let her know that the pay is avg. with or with out your child and children learn from being around other children. It's actually a plus that your child would be there.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would suggest to her that your ability to do your job will not be affected by you bringing your child. After all they could be companions and it could turn out to be an great situation for everyone. Suggest she hire you for a trail basis at $10 if she feels you aren't doing the job she expected then you will happily step away.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She needs to learn how to advertise better. That being said...10/hour is not enough!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010