Do you think a Landlord has the right to constantly come in and look around in the property rented from them?

should they be allowed to walk room to room, show up unannounced and demand to come in a look through your house without cause?

chtask09

Asked by chtask09 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Legally yes. As for "right", no. It's nosy and intrusive. It's one thing to check on the house but a decent civilized human being calls and says "I'll be by in an hour or this afternoon" or whatever. Otherwise it becomes less about wanting to check on a so-called investment and more like the landlord is just peeking in on you, especially going room to room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• What does your lease state. Is there reason that they feel they need to check the condition of their property?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My state has a 24 hour written notice law and it's only for repairs. oregon doesn't allow landlords to show up just to snoop.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It would depend on your state laws. But I would think that most states would require some kind of notice. Check to see if there is a Land lord tenant act avalible in your area. Although I agree with Bradenismyson to a point, it might get to the point of harrasement if there is no just cause. When I was renting, there was generaly an inspection periodicly just to make sure the property was being properly maintained. Other than that or for general maintance your right to privacy should be expected if the landlord wants to keep good tenants.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 5:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• NO! There should be some kind of notice requirement in the rental contract - or state law prohibiting that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thank you all kindly for you answers, however it isn't my property that is being invaded by annoying landlords but it was a family member until yesterday, we put a stop to that. My belief is this, It may be your property but there is a law that says once that property is rented to someone and they are occupying it by LAW it is no longer yours to just show up at whenever you want to EVERYONE deserves their privacy and walking all through someones home without appointment or notice and agreement is purely being nosey and controlling. While you may physically own it someone is PAYING to live there they need privacy. How would you like to have the real estate company you purchased your house from come by anytime they want just because they became attached to it before they sold it? it too was once in their property as well while very different scenerios that is the sum of it. PRIVACY AND RIGHTS ARE THE LAW. Harrasment is not.
    chtask09

Comment by chtask09 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yep. If it was my property your renting...It my money and investment. I don't want to never see it and find out in 10 years that you trashed it, I also don't want to give you time to "clean" up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010