Suggestions desperately needed....................

I need advice on the best way to burp my 7 wk old. She freaks out when I try to burp her 1/2 way through & she never really gets a good burp out. Could this be why she spits up sooooo much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter fought a lot! She would scream but i would just lean her over her waist and that would help. I noticed if my daughter didn't burp then she spit up a lot more.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I have 3 children and the best way I found to burp them is to sit them up on your lap, put your hand around her chin. its hard to explain but you, of course, need to support her but don't want to strangle her. when you pat her back, you need to have a firm hand, not hard, don't want to hurt her. but pat in an upwards motion and also rub her back from bottom up. I hope this helps, its hard to explain really.
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 6:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I also sat my son on my lap in that position but my daughter didn't like it so I laid her across my lap on her belly, something with a pillow under her belly only sometimes without and patted or rubbed her back - it also helped her if I "stood" on my toes while doing this and sort of bouncing her lightly at the same time - sounds wierd and hard to describe but it worked for her
    redhatmomma

Answer by redhatmomma at 8:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• How the poster above me explained it is how I always did it. You can also try sitting your baby up against your shoulder. My mom used to hold me when I was a baby across her lap with one of her legs slightly elevated to help the gas come out and pat my back that way. I never used that trick but she swore on it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son spit up a lot when he was younger. I finally took him to the Dr and his Dr said he had acid reflux. Well the problem kept happening so i took him to a diffrent Dr. and it turns out he cant drink dairy products. After we started giving him soy formula he felt better.
    If she starts burping better and still spits up more than normal you should take her to her DR. and make sure there is noting else wrong.
    crystal227

Answer by crystal227 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2008