HOW DOES THE "SUGER" TEST WORK?

i am going on friday and i wanted to know how it is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• mine was they gave me this thick drink that welll they said would taste like 7 up but yuck it didnt it is just a lot of sugar then thy eusually hae you wait about an hour then draw your blood to see how high your blood sugar leave goes up
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• well theres different ways i believe.
    thay made me go in having to starve lol they took
    blood then gave me this yummy orange soda. it mite not taste
    good to you but idk i liked it lol. it tastes like nothing but sugar =]
    lol well n e ways you drink that and they had me in the back
    room for an hour watching a movie and then after the hour
    had past, they took alooot of bloodand that was it!
    linda3-7-09

Answer by linda3-7-09 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i had to go in on a fast. my apt was in the morning and i couldn't eat after midnight the night before. they had me do a pee sample as soon as i got there, then i had to drink something that was kinda like sunkist, but pretty thick. it wasn't that bad. then after an hour i had to have my blood drawn and they use your urine and blood to see how much the stuff you drank changes your blood sugar.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i heard it was 3hr long? is that true??
    Anonymous

• I do it on monday so you'll have to let me know how it was
    Dogpuck

Answer by Dogpuck at 8:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• some are one hour some are 3 hours long and some are 5. it depends on what the doctor wants. ive have like 2 of them now cause i have sugar problems. just message me and i can give you all the details that you want on them. im an old pro at it
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Okay here's the deal. The first test consists of a 1 hour glucose test; they take your blood, and then you drink a flavored fizzy drink (tastes like soda with WAY too much syrup in it...) anyways you have to drink that quickly and then they take your blood again after an hour. If it is over the recommended amount, then you are stuck doing the three hour test.

The three hour test is very similar to the first one only they test your blood every hour for three hours, and instead of drinking the sugary stuff, you actually have to eat something.

If your numbers are high in any of the three hours they will likely put you on a diabetic diet (low sugar and carb intake,) and monitor your glucose by taking your blood every two weeks until the birth. Good luck!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 9:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2008