Babies Encyclopedia: Is it ok to put a baby to sleep on a boppy pillow?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 5:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could put your baby to sleep on a Boppy but you can leave your baby sleep on a Boppy unless you are holding your baby (your arms are on the Boppy) and you are awake.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I did this with one of mine...., for his flat spot. The boppy pillow was on the floor, so he didn't fall left or right. I placed 4 thick plush blankets under the boppy pillow, so it was comfy but not too stiff. My little one would do naps this way sometimes, and I thought that he saved his neck from the hard floor, and the flat spot. If you think it's not a good idea, just don't use a loose fluffy pillow for the baby's head, that way they won't get squishy in it, and loose the air flow. ( If they side turn )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes, so long as it's on a flat surface, like a carpeted floor, and you are awake and watching baby.

Do not leave baby unattended in bobby pillow. Do not place bobby pillow on the couch or bed or any high surface and use in this manner because baby could fall.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not unattended. They can scoot down just a little, and their heads tilt forward, cutting off their airway. I think you could even watch it and not see it, so I'd never do it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I did the 1st couple of nights with my son b/c he was still trying to cough stuff up after being born and without being propped up he started choking so we laid him on the boppy at an angle in between us on our bed so we could make sure he was breathing fine. (It's not like we got any sleep those nights anyway)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would think a baby could turn their head and slide down pushing their face into the pillow... Im sure thats not what they were ment to be used for.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 10:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It may be okay if you're right there and supervising, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Babies are best off on a flat surface with nothing that could block their nose and mouth.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My baby's boppy pillow has straps to keep the baby from sliding down and so I used those and he slept on his boppy nightly until just recently (last few nights). It was the only way he could sleep due to spitting up all the time. He could also breathe this way a lot easier than laying on his back. At daycare they either put him in a chair or his swing to sleep for the same reasons. I am glad to say he is doing much better now though! :)

I think it is perfectly safe to allow them to sleep on it if monitored or if it has the sraps to keep them from sliding.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010