anyone know anything about the virus Mono???

the little girl i babysit is 5 she was running low fever on tuesday, her mom has had her and just informed me that the doc said she MIGHT have mono because of her symptoms and how long shes been sick. she will have to miss school for a month if she does, her mom wants to let her come here during the days girls not running fever but i dont know enough about it. how long are they contagious?? i know they can be sick for 6 weeks. i have a 5yr old 2yr old and 5 month old??????? im not sure if they have even already been exposed or not. THANKS

VDietrich

Asked by VDietrich at 5:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't think it'd be a good idea. Even if she's not currently contagious, the fact that she has it would make me uncomfortable to have her around the 5 month old especially.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 5:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you have to come in contact with a person's saliva to catch mono...I was tested for it about 10 years ago, a friend used to get it frequently and my kids & I never caught it from her (she'd snuggle my kids and they'd be fine). The nickname for it is "kissing disease" because teens spread it in a hurry via making out. I suggest calling your own doctor and asking the risk to your kids, and using your judgement - if the doc says it'd be fine, but you're just not comfortable with it, tell the mom no. I'd be torn too about having another kid with it there every day for a month with an infant in the house.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I had mono as a teen and was very very sick. I honestly would speak with a doctor about whether or not it would be safe to have this child in your home around your kiddos.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Your kids may already have it.
    The incubation period for mono, meaning the time from the initial viral infection until the appearance of symptoms, is between four and six weeks. During an infection, a person is likely able to transmit the virus to others for at least a few weeks. Since mono is spread from person to person, avoiding close personal contact with infected individuals and practicing excellent hygienic practices can help prevent transmission of the virus. However, since periodic reactivations of the virus infection seem to occur in healthy individuals and because many infected people will not have symptoms of the condition, prevention is extremely difficult.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• take your kids to the Dr & if they don't have it already I'd say no to watching her, especially with a 5 mo old
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Its very contagious.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i wouldn't, especially since you watch other people's children... if you were sitting for my child i would be upset if you made a choice to expose my child (knowingly) without discussing it with me...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• watch out
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010