What do u think of extremes?

In every religion there are people that are really extreme in their thinking of how hardcore they want to follow their religions. I personally get very annoyed and turned off by people that are religious like that...I feel if you follow to an extreme you will not live your life to the fullest. How do you feel about extreme Christians, Jews,Muslims, etc etc etc??? (As far as Muslims Im not talking about terrorists.)And pls if you are not going to answer the question dont respond. I dont want to have an argument or anything on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think anything done in extremes is good. The world is a big place, and we can have such a big taste of it all.......but if you're so focused (extreme) on something, you miss so much more.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I completely agree with EireLass. When you are super extreme you tend to get tunnel vision I think. When you fail to see us as part of a global community, you fail.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i'm LDS in good standings and even extremes of my own religion can bother me. I agree that you should live your life to the fullest. that can mean still following a religion but not MAKING it your life.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Very good point kris, about global community. To be extreme and exclusionary in one's beliefs is to live a very isolated life. Even though I'm Eclectic Pagan I love learning about other spiritual beliefs and practices...it's fascinating. But to me, extremists of any belief system are off-putting and frankly rather scary.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 8:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think the extremists are nuts. LOL. Okay, really, talk about cults... the extremeists are "those people". I honestly don't have much respect for someone who is SO caught up in their religion and their beliefs that they literally become closed off to anything else.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• What about extreme Atheists? Does that turn you off too?
    Anonymous

• Extremists are very scary and do a lot of damage. As a Christian I am most frustrated by extreme Christians. They always seem to be the loudest and make it a lot harder to bear the title Christian. I also notice extremist tend to not actually follow their religion like they pretend to. Christian extremist for example are SUPPOSED to love the sinner but hate the sin. But 99% of the time you find them doing hateful things like protesting funerals of gays etc. Its rather disgusting
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• There are few things scarier than a zealot, regardless of what it is they believe in. You never know what lengths they'll go to in the name of their cause. This goes for religion, as well as any belief in anything that can consume you.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Extremists of any type irritate me. And yes, anonymous, that includes atheists.
    punkmama27

Answer by punkmama27 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I completely agree, humaniterian87. At this point, I'd like to just create a new name for myself, because Christian has such a negative stigma. I can overlook hateful comments of people from other religions WAY easier than I can get past Christians being hateful.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008