How do you get your child to help pick up their toys? Any fun suggestions? I always end up having to yell:(

reagabismom

Asked by reagabismom at 5:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son gets 20 minute timer to pick up his things, whatever is not picked up gets put in bucket for 2 days, the next time it has to happen those toys go in the garbage
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I try to make a game of it (like basketball) and not get too frustrated and yell. If DS gets about 1/3 of the mess cleaned up, I call it good. He helped, he's learning he's required to clean up.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't play around anymore. They have until the timer ends, anything left on the floor goes in a garbage bag, and is gone for a month. It lights a fire under their messy little butts!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not fun. I tell them in a quiet calm voice they better clean them up or they go into the trash. No yelling and the room gets clean!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I keep my dd's daughters toys in totes one for barbie-dress-up and babies/stuff..They stay in the top of her closet. I tell her I only get them down if she'll clean them up after she's done.  if she don't then she don't see them for a long time. I also only allow one down at a time.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i have baskets for the toys and when its time to clean them up i sit in the floor with my 2 yr old and tell him to put them in the basket. If he gets distracted i just show him another toy and tell him to get it for mommy.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• well first off, I do not let it get crazy. DD is required to put each toy away before she plays with something new. Then I tell her that if she does not put them in their proper places, that they will be too tired to play next time.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• make it fun, and give them direction work with them too :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Do what I do: Box up all but a handful of them and put them in a room where they can't get to them, and explain to them that it is a problem that they don't pick up after themselves and when they learn to pick up the few toys they have, you will let them have the other ones back.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Make a game out of it, first. Use a timer and whatever is left goes up for a few days. Also, use a reward when they do get all the toys picked up on time too. Something as simple as stickers or an extra 5 minutes before going to bed, or an extra bed time story are good. I used this stuff for my daughter when she was younger and I NEVER had a prob w/ her cleaning up her toys. She would even pick up her toys before leaving when visiting others. She is now, at the age of 16, pretty good about cleaning up her room.

Ks_mom94

Answer by Ks_mom94 at 2:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010