if my baby is HIGH RISK...

Does that mean she'll be in the NICU after she is born? My doctor told me they'll most likely keep her longer.. I really never understood why she's high risk.. She'll be born with a cleft lip. Minor as far as they can tell.. Also, she has a dilated bowel of 1 centimeter and a calcium deposit on her heart.. which they told me that was normal in late trimester and not a concern..

amv1010

Asked by amv1010 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If they have any "abnormality" in the womb they can consider them high risk, and they have to warn you of the possible stay in the NICU. She may need the NICU, she may not. It all depends on her when she is born and the severity of any "issues" she may have. She may be perfectly fine. She may not. Its hard telling. Either way, dont stress about it. Take it easy mama, everything will turn out fine :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's a possibilty. It will depend more on when she is born, how she is doing then. If anything, they might have a NICU team in the room. It happened with my son. When it became clear there were complications during delivery, they called for a NICU team to come in the delivery room. They checked out my son and decided he was fine. Hopefully everything will be all right with yours and she might only need to be evaulated by the NICU doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Cleft lip can be mild or very severe, and they can't always tell. My friend had 2 out of 3 babies with a cleft palate, not the lip, but it caused a lot of problems with nursing. She had to exclusively pump. Neither one was detected on an ultrasound.

If you already know your baby is going to have this challenge, it would be a very good idea to get in contact with an IBCLC and your local La Leche Legue. It can definitely affect if your baby is eating enough or not.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010