what can I do to help my 8 year old son who is having behaviors and doesn't seem happy?

My 8 year old son is having major behavior issues. I feel like I have done something wrong to make him this way! He fights with everyone in the family, is very selfish, will not go to bed at night, and I feel like everything ends up in a struggle with him. I don't know what to do! I love him! He is my child! This hurts me sooo bad!
Thanks for any support out there!
Alexis

alexis31

Asked by alexis31 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hi Alexis,
    Don't blame yourself for your son and his behavioral problems. Children go through different stages and they can occur at any age This may behiws way to get your attention. Let him know that while you don't accept the bad behavior you will always love him and be there for him if something is wrong. If you have other children it could be that he is feeling lost in the shuffle.Try taking a day and devoting it entirely to him. For example; I have 6 kids from 3-17, I often take them one on one for hikes, or to luncheon dates. Avoid activities that prohibit conversation like movie theatres. Once your son becomes more secure with his role in your life, he will open up about his anxieties. The most important thing is to never play the blame game. Remind your child that you love him unconditionally and that you will be there to help him through this. Good luck and God bless Renee Gill
    mom0f6

Answer by mom0f6 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• This must be really hard for you right now & I'm sorry that you are in such pain right now. I would try taking a day out with your son where you can spend some time alone with him. Maybe if you & him took a late afternoon walk where you could talk to him would help. Let him know that he can come & talk to you about anything & "promise" him that you will do your best to listen & understand without overreacting to whatever he may have to say. Reassure your love for him & just let him see that your sincere with your way of communitcating with him. Don't pressure him to talk & let him try to open up on his own. It may take awhile but maybe he will after watching your actions of sincerity & trust. It could be something important to him so take everything he says be just as important to you too. I wish you the best with your son!

Anonymous

• I understand how hard it is when your children act this way. I would try to talk to him and see if you can find out what is bothering him. If this is something that he just started he may be going through puberty early. I know that when my oldest started going through puberty he turned into a different child.

My middle child had anger issues and is very sensitive. We ended up taking him to a therapist that taught him how to deal with these feelings he was having. I also got the book "Don't Feed the Monster in Tuesday" There is a whole series of books and they help kids with different things they might be feeling.

I would remind him that you love him and that you are hear to help him. Let him know that when he is ready to talk you will be there for him and let him come to you. I have found that sometimes children need a little time to get things straight in their heads before they are ready to talk,

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008