What should my resume objective say?

I'm applying to different types of jobs.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 6:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would never do one resume to apply for several types of jobs. A resume is a tool - and you need to use the right tool for the right job.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Basically what you are looking for ex fulltime employment room for advancement, chance to use your ??? skills and experience..
    adrwfan

Answer by adrwfan at 6:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The resume objective thing is really stupid; you can't write anything without looking like either an idiot or an ass. Skip it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Its a waste of space...just leave it off. Employers don't pay any attention to it anyhow.
    SarahNKnapp

Answer by SarahNKnapp at 6:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Objectives are so last century!

I do career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help CafeMoms (and Dads) with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy, interview prep, etc. (I never charge CafeMoms for my services).

There are great tips and resources posted in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Don't put an objective in. However it's great to have a small "metadata" of buzzwords at the top of your resume. Most resumes are computer scanned, and then the ones with the right buzzwords get spit out for someone to look at them (this is for big employers, not 100 or less employee companies). The more hits on your buzzwords the more likely your resume gets to human eyes!
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 12:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Most resume' pros will tell you to not put that part in. I did not and it worked just fine to get hired in a Law Firm as a receptionist.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010