Who has right to this child?

A father in Utah is fighting to get custody of his child who was put up for adoption without his knowledge. He lives in VA where he filed days after his daughter was born for full custody. The baby was put up for adoption in Utah. VA granted father custody but Utah isn't budging. This father never signed over his rights.

I think the father should get custody of his daughter. He's been fighting this for 19 months. They said he waited to long to get custody. He waited a few days after her birth, how is that to long? I'm sickened that the state of Utah is taking a child away from her biological father.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-virginia-man-challenges-utahs-adoption-laws,0,7918821.story

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• wow he just needs to stay after it i think he deserves custody or they should at least let him interact w/child
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Lori, marriage is not always an option. Why are you so closed minded?

***

I'm not close-minded, I'm a traditionalist...you know taking the time to become educated, financially secure/independent, then finding Mr. Right, getting married, and THEN having children?!

Why are so many young women so lenient about men NOT respecting their women and letting them get away with not marrying them?! Why don't women DEMAND more of those they CHOOSE to procreate with?! Why do so many women make such horrible life-altering choices? What ever happened to the nuclear family?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Don't Mom's get a year to change their mind? I think Utah should had over the kid.

LoriKeet, it is very sad how so many women have such low self-worth. I was VERY picky about the man I decided to spend my life and have children with. It is kind of hard to pity those that make the poor choices though............they made the CHOICE after all.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The father has the right to the child. Waiting too long is an excuse, he STILL should have been consulted before the adoption went through.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• He should get custody. It is sad all around. The poor kid is probably going to end up screwed up because of its parents.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• He should get custody...that poor child and father.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's really sad, and I feel for that little girl more than anything. It's a situation where nobody wins.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• LoriKeet, it is very sad how so many women have such low self-worth. I was VERY picky about the man I decided to spend my life and have children with. It is kind of hard to pity those that make the poor choices though............they made the CHOICE after all.

***

Isn't it?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Fathers have rights, too, and the fact that he filed days after the birth makes me think he should have gotten custody right away (as long as there was no reason why he would not be a fit and safe parent). I am an adoptive mom, and our agency would have insisted that we hand over the child if this had happened to us. Our agency had legal custody until we finalized, and we were the legal guardians. That poor child will suffer now if she is taken from the only parents she has ever known.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010