House training a dog you got from someone....

So I just got a Jack Russel Terrier and I love her to death but she doesn't want to potty outside like she should....every time I approach her to discipline her she lays down and pees everywhere! How do I break her of this...I have had to keep her outside more lately b/c of my work schedule changing since we lost a few workers.....I don't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pets

• It sounds like she is a submissive pee er I how are you disiplineing her and when you do are you punishing her for having accidents in the house? If you are is it when you have caught her in the act or after the fact? I have a a dog that did this so I had to adjust how I disaplined her I could not use a stern voice with her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It's totally behavioral. She's new and she's nervous. The more secure she feels she'll stop. Female dogs tend to piddle when nervous or excited especially when they are under 3 yo. It does stop though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• we got a dog from some people who were going to put it down because they found out they 'weren't dog people'. He was a MESS. Every time we stood up too fast he would pee or poop or vomit. We set a schedule for him. Walked him first thing in the morning, fed him, walked him every 2 or 3 hours at first or any time he looked like he had to go. Then we fed him again in the evening and gave him a long walk before bed. It took a few months to help him get over his behavioral issues. We had alot of accidents. We would show them to him and say 'NOOO' firmly. And he was praised lots and given treats for going outside. Just try not to freak out about accidents. Its really frustrating I know but it might make the problem worse.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 6:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She used to potty outside.....then it went to she would pee outside and poop in the house. I would catch her in the act and would be like "No Zoey!" Other times my son would come up to me and say mommy look what Zoey did...and then I would take Zoey and put her nose next to it and say "Bad Zoey we don't potty in the house"
    You just walk up to her at times and she will roll on her back and pee....I hope it stops soon...saw some spray you can use to teach your dog to potty in a specific spot.....wonder if that would work with training pads....
    londonsmommy27

Answer by londonsmommy27 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I do give her treats and make a big deal of her going outside....like I did every time my son used the potty when he was younger. I just hate trying to clean my couch or bed sheets b/c she pees everywhere when you walk up near her
    londonsmommy27

Answer by londonsmommy27 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She's peeing like that because she's so scared of you... simple as that.
    Dogs don't have assosciative memory like people do, they don't assosciate that pile of pee with the previous behaviour of peeing.
    As far as your dogs concerned, occasionally you just shove her face in pee and be agressive towards her for no reason.

The reason she doesn't respond to that is because she doesn't assosciate the punishment with the action. Punishment for this really doesn't work well, positive reinforcement and correcting WHILE they are doing it is the only way.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't think you will Ever Train her by You or Your Son Sticking her Nose in it! and Making her Stay Outside- Yorkies are Inside Dogs; i have a Chi/Yorkie Mix that is (8) actually, today is her birthday- i have never left her outside by herself- If you do some research on them, you will see that they only need about 30 minutes of outside time a day & shouldn't be left alone outside for long periods- She has already been through alot by being taken away from her previous owner- Although, i am not crazy about keeping them in a Crate- hopefully, you will consider doing that while you are at work instead of leaving her outside- You can also Potty Train her with a Crate- but, you need to use Positive Reinforcement!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She isn't left outside by herself, she has my huskie she loves to play with. She is a terrier, and I was using the crate to train her and she decided she wanted to start potting in her crate. I would give her a treat everytime we went outside and she went outside. She isn't outside while I am at work...she is outside while I am home sleeping for a few hours and then comes inside. I work third shift so I can't be up to let her out every 2 hours when I come home. My son doesn't stick her nose in her potty, I have done that. She would poop in the house of the last place I got her from and when I brought her home she would potty outside only for me and then afeter about 4 days decided my house was her pooping grounds. I tried the whole stop her and take her outside....giving her treats when she did go outside so on and so forth and that doesn't help....she will be outside for 5 mins pee and then come inside and poop in my house!
    londonsmommy27

Answer by londonsmommy27 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• take her to petsmart for trainin
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:37 AM on Sep. 21, 2010