Question for those gardners out there...is now a good time to go ahead and pull up the garden and put fresh manure into the soil so it will be ready for next season?

Were still fairly new at this stuff,lol.
Our veggie garden is about done.Weve picked all we can pick with a few stragglers here and there and now we are thinking ahead for next years garden...of how to make it even better than this years.
Would mixing regular horse manure into the soil be okay? We will start planting again mid-late spring...will this give the manure enough time to sit with the soil? Or do we need to do something else to it?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 7:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Just make sure it is aged horse manure. You don't want to use anything that is "hot". Pull everything out, throw in some manure and till away. Actually you could wait and toss the manure on top, then after you rake leaves you can toss them in too ~ then till it. There is no need to test the soil....the manure will do its thing and you will have a fabulous garden next year! You may still have to till in the spring just to loosen the soil because it will compact over winter under the crap loads of snow we are going to get! ROFLMAO!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I'd let what you put in there set for a while and mix up (turn) the soil every now and again. I added vitamins to mine this year that I bought at Kmart. Got a good deal on everything there. My garden turned out wonderful. Still have things growing now. I was off on my timing of my watermelon though. Still don't have any baby melons yet.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• People look at me like I'm crazy when I say this, but before fertilizing your garden with anything, you'd be well off to get a soil sample or two, to see what your soil really needs (or doesn't need). Then treat with what the results tell you. DH is an independent agronomist so we do it every year, and rarely have to put anything in (I'd never let him put horse manure in though, blech, lol!)
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• where do you get the soil tested? I live in a city.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Yes you can out horse, cow, sheep manure in there now and let it sit rototill it up into the soil though or you can do this in the spring we add all kinds of stuff into ours I have always had the best garden. I just add and add never have ever had my soil tested but you probably could

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• NO! Not horse manure! Horses don't digest seeds very well, including their oats or corn. You'll have weeds out the WAZOO next year! It also doesn't have the oomph that cow or chicken manure would give your soil, & cows/chickens DO digest any seeds better so there's less weeds.
    If you want to add organic matter to the soil add leaves, wood ashes, kitchen compost including crushed eggshells, & chicken or cow manure (you can add fresh manure now, it'll be fine by next spring.) Depending on the pH, you may want to add lime.
    You can get soil testing done at many places, usually the County Extension office or a feed store would offer soil testing. I got a kit from Gurney's that will test nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, & pH levels in the soil (you want a pH between 6.5 & 7.0 for most veggies). A good balance of those elements is crucial to good plant development. Too much or too little of any will affect the plants.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sorry, that pH level for veggies should be 6.0 to 6.5 not 6.5 to 7.0.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2010