My baby has learned to roll over & is starting to roll over on her belly when she sleeps, how can I keep her on her back to reduce SIDS?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a little triangular pillow that went to the side of mine so she couldn't roll, it worked pretty well and was soft too
    R_Kay

Answer by R_Kay at 7:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If your baby can hold up their head, there is little to no risk of laying a baby on their belly. My kids all slept on their belly from day one - even in the hospital. Our peds didn't like it, but even she admitted that once a baby can move their head (which both of my kids could do from birth), there is no reason to force them to sleep on their back, if they can't breath, they will move, just like adults do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My dd did that to. I asked my doc about it and she said it was ok for her to roll HERSELF over, as long as I wasn't laying her down on her belly. Of course, my dd has had great head control since day one. She lifted her head off my dh's arm in the hospital and I swear his one aunt about had a heart attack. She thought it would hurt her if we let her, and a nurse actually told us it would hurt her more if we stopped her from doing it, so we just let her.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My doctor also told me if she is rolling herself, not to worry.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• (I have no kids of my own, this is just my thought)
    If your baby is able to roll over on it's own then I wouldn't worry about it. I came from a family of seven and all seven of us slept on our stomach from birth on (since that was when Doctors thought it was safer for the baby to sleep on its stomach rather than the back) and we are all alive and well.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nothing you can do about it but I wouldn't recommend put any pillows or anything soft in the crib with your baby. My son has slept on his stomach since he was 4 weeks old. Good luck- our son looooves to roll around in his crib sometimes when he should be sleeping!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• agreed.. No need to force her to stay on her back anymore. Its perfectly safe if shs doing it on her own.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 9:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Once they can roll and hold their heads up they are fine. my daughter has slept on her stomach since she was a week old.
    deliamomma09

Answer by deliamomma09 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• she's ok. sound like she more comfortable on her belly
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2010