Should I Talk to Her Dad?

My DD is 10 (11 in 2 weeks). Her dad is getting remarried in October, she isn't participating. She was really sad about it because she participated in mine 6 years ago. She's said a few things over the last few months about it, I've told her that if she's upset she should talk to her dad, everyone celebrates differently, etc. Now, she is even more upset because she was asked to be a jr bridesmaid in a wedding next week for friends of ours. Today before leaving for her dads she was crying and said that she just doesn't understand how our friends want her to be part of their special day and her dad doesn't. I reassured her, and again told her that she needs to talk to her dad - but I feel so bad for her. I don't want to get involved/butt my nose into their wedding, but I want to make sure that her dad knows how hurt she is so he can talk to her and explain. Should I say something to him? Remind DD to speak with him?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 7:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would tell her dad. I don't understand why he would not have asked her to be in the wedding. He needs to know how much this is upsetting her and she may be nervous to talk with him about it, maybe afraid he doesn't want her in it because he's moving or something. Bottom line is your daughter's feelings are more important than your ex thinking your sticking your nose in. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would tell her dad how she feels about it. See if he can talk to her and tell her his resons or maybe add her in some way so she doens't feel left out.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would talk to dad cause he may not realize that she wanted to be apart of it or even that it affecting his little girl like it is..this one little thing can cause a big rift in their relationship in the long run..i have seen little things turn into big in family cause no one ever told the other how they really felt
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I bet that his bride-to-be has something to do with it. She probably doesn't want her there because she is a reminder that he used to be married. But it should be his choice, if he wants her there she should be there.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes i would bring it up to him.. Poor girl :(
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010