Has anyone ever had to submit a writing sample for a job?

I would like to apply for a job as a case manager for a non-profit organization, however they are requiring that I submit a writing sample with my resume. I have no clue on where to begin. Any help or suggestions, even topics would be great. Thanks in advance.

rebock

Asked by rebock at 7:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm an HR Director for a non-profit and I require applicants to provide an essay/writing sample.

I look for several things... first, I am looking at grammar, syntax, vocabulary and overall writing ability/written communication skills.
    Next, I am looking at content. Whatever topic you choose, you better know it inside and out!
    I'm also looking for something unique, something that sets that candidate apart from the others.

For me, some of my favorites have been about a specific experience that has either led them to the field, or has had a profound effect on them.

Best advice.. be yourself, but be your best self, if there are length requirements/restrictions.. follow them!
    Also, if there are submission requirements, such as "must be submitted online", follow those as well!
    Finally... Good Luck!!! :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Strong writing skills are essential in case management. Good Luck.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• As a case manager you would probably be writing reports, describing incidents that happened to document things for a file. Perhaps you could describe an event in detail for your writing sample. They are probably looking for attention to detail and the ability to describe an incident clearly. That's my guess anyway :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks. That helped a lot.
    rebock

Comment by rebock (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They will also be looking for basic writing skills - punctuation, spelling. Write like it is being graded for school - not like you are talking to friends. Good luck ;)
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 8:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010