DR's word VS. Sonogram technician

I had a sonogram on wednesday and she said baby weighs around 5lb 10 oz and today Dr said he thinks the baby is big after measuring my belly for the 1st time (I know).

Do you think I should listen to t he Dr. or go by the sonogram. I know they are not exact but just wana see what people would think. Thanks a bunch

Seterah1010

Asked by Seterah1010 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• neither one is accurate.... they're both just guessing. there's no way to know how big the baby is until it is born
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would the ultrasound person... the belly isnt a sure method for measureing the baby
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Neither...you can't accurately determine any of that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• neither of those will be very accurate. The only way to know how much a baby will weigh at birth is to weigh the baby at birth.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Id say the dr is correct just bc they know even the tech knows us can be off by weeks using measurments really won't be off but the dr and tech should have discussed this together so you wouldn't be guessing. There's really know exact way of knowing how big but if the dr says its larger id expect that
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• no*
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'd be more inclined to go with the OB since she has far more schooling than the sonographer. I'm sure the doctor has seen the ultrasound. Maybe in the doctors mind nearly 6lbs is big for how far along you are. Just a thought. When you go into labor naturally it probably won't matter that much anyway what they think. You'll know for sure then. :-)
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• they were both wrong in my case so i would go by at birth. same thing happen to a friend of mine.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Neither. It doesn't matter how big the baby is go by your LMP to get a due date.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• They can both be wrong. I was told by both that I was going to have a large baby-9-10 lbs was the estimate. My dd came out to be 7 lbs 8 oz. The only way to know for sure is to just wait for them to be born.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010