im thinking about homeschooling my kids...

I really love the idea of the whole world being their classroom and im not sure i want to share my kids childhood with a teacher. Im reading lots of books on homeschooling and i keep
tossing the idea around in my head, then i read one part that pretty much set my heart on homeschooling... It said something along the lines of, how much time do we really spend with our kids during the school years? We get up and fight to rush them out the door in the morning so they arent late, then when they get home its sanck, homework, outside to play with friends, dinner, baths, then bed.. and thats not how i want to spend my kids childhood with them. I went to public school and loved most of it, but thats about all i remember of my childhood, school. I want my kids to look back and beable to remember family more then nything. My oldest is only 4 so iv got time, im just looking for some support and advice. No "Negitive Nancys" please.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I promise this isn't negative- to each their own, I personally wouldn't. But you can I'd still support :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• you do have good motives too. I just like the idea of that whole socialization with lots of kids. ya know? That still can be done though with homeschooling. :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• yea iv checked into homeschooling groups around my area and theres dozens of play groups, sports groups, co-op and more in Tampa.
    I would not keep them inside at a table 6hrs outta the day either. I want to teach by showing them first hand, not by books and lectures.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thats good.. But whats the question? :) lol
    Me & DH are bouncing the idea around as well.. one month i want to hs.. the next month im unsure of myself & doubt it.. the next month i think anything i do has to be better than what she would get at school.. then i think "school was great! i dont want my kid to miss those memories i had"...

I may just be a very active 'school mom'.... growing up my parents just wanted to me to pass.. they did not ask for me to do my best. or say i could do better. they never came to school parties. they did attend my few plays & seemed happy for me.. but never tried to get more more involved in anything.. KWIM? So I think if I changed that for my kids it would make a HUGE difference!

Best of luck! I think homeschool is awesome!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i got a few books from the library to read about hs. They have helped alot to put the fears and doughts away.
    Im not worried about IF i can teach them, i worry about the patience to do it lol
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• you also should take into consideration that maybe there might be a learning issue that you won't be able to handle and a "trained professional" so-to-speak would be better? My neighbors home-schooled their 2 kids and they were very alienated even though there were kids at just about every house, they didn't know how to interact. Personal experience: My son who is in kindergarten this year, I got some teacher books and early childhood development skill builders and preschool things like ABC'S and stuff like that, I can't do it with him, I don't know what it is, but I can't. I've tried so much, and he has too, but my patience and OCD kicks into high gear and I can't mentally help him, so even though I wanted to home school so badly for the same reasons as you, I know I wouldn't be a good at it.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am home-schooling my boys, and loving it! If you need advice, support or questions answered, feel free to pm me anytime.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am a homeschooling Mom and I love it!! I am with my2.5boys....if you need advice, support or questions answered, feel free to PM me. There are also TONS of great homeschooling groups here on Cafemom. Good Luck Mama. Homeschooling rocks.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010