my 4 year old has strep throat and I'm having trouble giving him the antibiotics HELP...

so after 2 weeks in school we find out Jaiden has strep throat , the dr gave us medicine to give him but he wont take it .....i put it in chocolate pudding, strawberry jello and strawberry milk all those he didn't like it's like he know something was in it then we had to force him to drink it and of course i'm guessing at least half went in my eye.....he needs to take this for ten days what can i put it in for him to take his medicine any advice?

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i know it sounds mean, but i just put them in a headlock and squirt the syringe down their throat. it only takes 2 seconds and they don't fuss as much for me when i do that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'd just make him take it straight, that way you know he took it all, have some sort of punishment if he doesn't take it, whatever you normally do when he missbehaves
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Just tell him that he has to take it or he will end up in the hospital. I find explaining the consequences to my 4 year old helps. There IS NO OPTION here. If he can get through the bad taste then he can have something good tasting afterward. Mom, you are just going to have to be the bad guy in order to be the good guy. As a side note, I have strep 12 times in one school year when i was 5 so... I understand his situation completely. My doctor gave this bonus to help with the sore throat, buy canned peaches in syrup and have him take 2 tsp. of syrup every hour. It really really helps!
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 7:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Never under estimate the power of bribery. I don't normally condone bribery but desperate times call for desperate measures. 'If you drink this in 1 min you can have 6 M&M's . If you don't then you will get no M&M's and Mommy will have to make you take it. This is to help your throat feel better and it isn't going to feel better until you take all of your medicine.' If that doesn't work then go with Princessbeth's idea. But try to make it less traumatizing by singing a song or something!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My daughter is terrible at taking medicine and I don't blame her...the stuff tastes TERRIBLE!! Try giving him a saltine cracker. Squirt some medicine in his mouth, tell him to swallow it quick and take a bite of the cracker. Keep doing that until the dose is down. Follow the last bite with a drink of water, milk, or whatever you want. It works for her everytime! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• try mixing it in a small cup of yogurt or a smoothie
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• or check with the pharmacy & see if they can flavor it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

• Most pharmacies can flavor things ot make them more palatable. I honestly haven't had a hard time giving my son meds since he was old enough to talk and understand that they would make him feel better. Just try to reason with him and stay calm.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Do the syringe idea. Applesauce?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• it may seem mean, but you are the adult, make your child take it... or they won't get better...
    medicines should NEVER be mixed into foods or drinks for a child that can eat table food...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2010