whats the best way to take a 20month old girl off her pacie???

babykathy09

Asked by babykathy09 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just throw them away... All of them. But I did all that stuff cold turkey with my daughter. Some people prefer weaning.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If you let her outgrow it on her own it will be much, much easier on everyone. My son gave his up on his own at around 18 months. They don't cause dental damage until permanent teeth come in, FYI. You have a couple years before that is likely to happen.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i know a 3 yr old almost 4 on one i agree with glamourina
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my kid is horrible when it comes to her pacie she has some hiding under her pillow she has her granma hiding some in her room she just always knws were one is i hav tryed throwing them away an all she does is scream her head off ugh its so frusturating cus her teeth are shaped like the upper jaw thng
    babykathy09

Comment by babykathy09 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When she throws it down, don't give it back. Also, try a soft snuggly toy for her to hold to soothe her -I think that is what the pacifier does at this age.
    Spunky57

Answer by Spunky57 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Of course she will scream, but most likely within a week that "habit" will be broken and you'll be at peace knowing it's over. Breaking the habit, regardless if you do it by weaning or just cold turkey is not going to come without tears and some headache relief.

As an adult, it takes 21 days to break a physical habit. While I feel it takes less for a child, it is still going to take several days to get passed the paci.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• throw them away n tell her shes a big girl now she dont need it n tell grama not to get her anymore shes just maken it worse bye gettn her some..
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• We just went cold turkey with my oldest. It worked fine until she found the missing one under the couch one day! I told her to be a big girl and throw it away. She did with no problems! I think it works best that way.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• go around and gather them up, if you know some one who just had a baby or is going to have a baby tell your DD that they are gonna be for the new baby since she is a big girl now, then throw em out
    Aranna

Answer by Aranna at 10:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I just did this with my son this past monday. Monday night was the HARDEST thing I have ever had to listen to..b/c he cried for an hr and a half before he fell asleep. I cried the entire time. We took it cold turkey and told him that he was a big boy and that he could use a teddy bear that he had been sleepy with anyways. And that his binkies needed to go to the babies at daycare. It has been hard but monday night was the hardest. I just remind him every time he asks that they go to the babies. I always make sure that he has his bear right now til he gets adjusted. Each night got easier and nap times were never an issue. And he was SO VERY attached to his binkies so its possible for your toddler to be broke of it. ;) Be strong momma..it will be hard on you as it is her. Also make sure you either throw away or hide all paci's from her view or it will be very hard on her. Good luck..hope this helped some
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010