what is with religious prejudice?

I have done some studying in recent years I have read the bible, the toa te ching, the book of mormon, the koran (side note: if anyone has any reading sugestions I would love to hear them I am interesed in ALL beliefs) and several other lesser known titles and through all that study I have just one question for the religious world at large...it sounds a little cliche but, why can't we all just get along? Honestly so many of the texts I have read seem to preach similar ideas about love and balance and harmony. If God is an all mighty being than why couldn't he, she, they, it, BE whatever it needs to be for every individual? It is my opinion that religion is suposed to create harmony within, to give us guidelines to live by and to give man something bigger than himself to believe in. Why do so many feel the need to force others into there beliefs? I would be interested to hear any thoughts on my musings...thank you

pregoagain2010

Asked by pregoagain2010 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think your more than correct. If people would stop looking for those few differences and look at the similarites between faiths, they would see that we aren't really that different from one another... But when you say to someone that Paganism, Christianity, Buddhism and Islam are even similar, they get upset like their faith is completely unlike the others because it's "superior" in some way or another... I love the argument that "My religion isn't like those because MY religion is the real one..." Frankly, we are all the same - regardless of religion or belief, regardless of gender or sexuality, regardless of color or race... We are all equal and we have more in common than we don't... When people start to see that, everything can change!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's why I believe what I do. I think that many religions worship the same god, only in different forms and ways. I don't believe that there is one "right" religion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I believe along the same lines as you. I don't belong to a religion, but I follow the Hindu philosophy called Advaita Vedanta, which states all religions are valid. Not all religions or beliefs are as inclusive though, unfortunately. If you're interested in texts about Hinduism, I would suggest reading the Upanishads, the Mahabharata, and even the Brahma Sutras.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I actually believe similarly to what you've said - IMO God meets us where we are, is the inspiration behind all of the faiths, and can be found wherever/however we seek Him. :)

(If you haven't read the Gita yet, I recommend it! And the Analects.)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Because so many of those teachings insist that ONLY their way is right. Those are the people with the problems accepting other religions - because their religions are telling them not to :) When you are told that anyone different from you is going to hell, or is the devil, it's not easy to practice tolerance. That type of brainwashing makes me very sad, but to each their own.

getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I recommend you read The Power of Now. It explains very clearly why people do this. It stems from the need to be right, which is a sort of self-preservation instinct. Their whole identity and sense of self depends upon being right.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• " Frankly, we are all the same - regardless of religion or belief, regardless of gender or sexuality, regardless of color or race... We are all equal and we have more in common than we don't... When people start to see that, everything can change! "

Sabrina, yet again you amaze me with your wise words. FABULOUS

I second this.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes I have a book suggestion for you 2 actually read the Catechism of the Catholic church and Dentes Inferno

ok one last one- this is hard- but if you can get an original copy with actual translation of the AD scriptures IT IS UNBELIEVABLE the original is written in hebrew and the 'real' translation of the stories is TOTALLY different from what we Christians Learn
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank you for the wonderful reading suggestions...it is good to hear others with similar views
    pregoagain2010

Comment by pregoagain2010 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010