What brand of hair dye can I use when I'm preggers? With my first, my ob said not to, but i have to. any advice?

katieandminic

Asked by katieandminic at 8:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can't imagine "having to" dye one's hair ... that's more of a "wanting to" type of thing.
    I have no idea what to use - ask your doctor if you're concerned about using the a safe product.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Use Ammonia Free hair dye or go to a Salon and get it done professionally. Stylists know the correct hair colors to use on pregnant women. I get my hair colored every six-eight weeks by a professional and the color comes out nicer then if you do it on your own plus they don't damage the hair like the over the counter products do.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't believe any hype of color sinking into the scalp it usually rinses right off skin, and sticks to the hair shaft,
    maybe get henna dye.
    It's a coating that doesn't go in the hair shaft,
    It coats the outter part of the hair, but lasts longer than coloring.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I will first tell you that I color my hair but when I was pregnant I did not color my hair. The reason why is I did not want to hurt the baby in any way so just to be safe I did not color the whole time I was pregnant. It is only for 9mths my advice is don't do it.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 9:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Hair color is not dangerous to pregnant women. But I suggest going to a professional. Professional color is safer, fume free, and just looks better anyway. The only difference is your body temp is elevated so it processes really fast. If it was dangerous the lable would say so and everyone would be suing salons and miss clarol. It doesn't hurt the baby at all. I have plenty of pregnant clients. I colored while preg four times! Babies are fine. If you want to color, don't let anyone make you feel bad about it! you have a ton of options! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• girl i have no clue caus ei want to also. i have lots of grey hair but doc said no to me.
    lifeisgreatbut.

Answer by lifeisgreatbut. at 9:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I havent even asked if I could dye my hair it is NOT NECESSARY so I dont even want to almost chance anything!!!

I have tons of greys...I hate them, they are driving me nuts. But I can live with greys to protect my baby!!!

Some say its ok, other say no...I dont wanna be the one to find out which one is right.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• omg seriously people? Find me one study where it caused birth defects. No one ever had a miscarriage from golden honey blond! All the stylists who have kids are doomed! It's not like smoking crack. Little chemistry 101 for yah! Color doesn't soak in the scalp, and go into your system. Most professional lines are protien based and non toxic. And if you do a foil, it doesn't even touch the skin let alone the scalp, and there are no fumes. This isn't the 1950's when they used clorox to bleach hair ladies.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Expert Answers
    Ann Linden, certified nurse-midwife
    The limited evidence that's available suggests that it's probably safe to dye your hair during pregnancy. The Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS), which provides information on potential reproductive risks, says that animal studies are reassuring and that there are no reports of hair dye causing changes in human pregnancies, despite the fact that many women have colored their hair during pregnancy. What's more, OTIS points out that very little of the chemicals in hair dye are actually absorbed into your system.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Clorox wont't bleach your hair, peroxide will. Hair coloring is not dangerous while pregnant wether your in a salon or at home. If you are at home make sure you are in a well ventelated area because it's the fumes you have to be careful of. It doesn't matter if it is on your scalp or not that is not the problem it's the fumes. The thing to be aware of is because of your hormones the color can process differently than it normally would. If you are getting it done in a salon the colorist should already know that but if you are pregnant and not showing make sure and let them know so they can watch you more closely! Have fun!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 10:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010