Do you consider it illegal to burn the American flag?

I guess it depends on whether or not you think the Supreme Court has the last word.
While many bans have been tried they have been overturned no less than 7 times by the court. It's not illegal, it's free speech.

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is clearly part of being able to speak out against the gov. without fear of regress. I don't like it. I think there are other ways to voice your displeasure without resorting to that. Others, however, go straight for the shock factor and the "in your face" of the act. I choose to write my representatives, my president, vote, and have conversation. My flag represents so much more to me than the government.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It isn't illegal, but IMO it is just as disrespectful as spitting in the face of a veteran or digging up the grave of a deceased vet.

It is a shame people have so little pride in their country.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Of course it's not illegal. It's just disrespectful... Just as it's disrespectful to burn any other political, religious or sacred items... Not illegal, just not something I would ever do, free speech or not, there is never a reason to be disrespectful...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It cannot and should not be illegal at any point. I find it morally reprehensible, and I would not associate with anyone that did it, however, it should not be regulated.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not when it is being PROPERLY retired. My older son learned all about proper flag burning protocols in Boy Scouts two years ago.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't think it's illegal, but I do find it offensive.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am a veteran, U.S. Army. I did two tours in the Gulf War.

and no, it is absolutely legal - and this quote, from the movie The American President, says it best: "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest"
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 8:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

It is a shame people have so little pride in their country."

This! ^^^^^
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If the flag is tattered and ready to be let go then YES it can be burned. but to burn a perfectly good condition american flag crosses the line in to disrespecting the very country that gives people the 1st amendment right.s.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I truly feel it should be illegal. It shows such disrespect to America and what this country has built itself on. I understand freedom of expression and all that, but really burning the America flag is not the way to get your voice heard
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010