are you frugal?

I have been trying to be frugal, by buying less things we dont need. Like paper towels, paper plates.

So are you frugal and what are you frugal about?

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 8:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Anyone that knows me thinks I'm frugal.

I shop at salvage/discount/thrift stores, even for groceries. I have made laundry soap, dish soap, dishwasher detergent. I cook everything possible from scratch, even my own breads, pasta, salad dressings, and seasoning mixes. I grow a large garden and preserve everything possible. We grow our own chickens for the freezer (hey, at 80ยข/lb. for free range chickens, you can't beat that). I've made our own dog treats and dog food. I repair things if possible instead of replacing them, and I have sewn clothes for my kids. We drive cars that are at least 10 years old, my minivan is 12 years old & still runs well. I make most of our Christmas gifts (afghans, quilted table runners, playmats for kids, stitched designs on shirts, crafted wood items like a curio shelf or fishing pole rack). I reuse or recycle everything possible.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I guess we're frugal in everything except our internet connection. I think my husband would freak if we had dial up- though that would be the cheaper option. =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, very ... it's absolutely necessary. I'm frugal about everything. Our household income dropped by over 90% when my husband died and I returned to work.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I try to be frugal about everything. TRY! lol I dont buy stuff like spaghetti sauce at the grocery store I buy it at the dollar store, among other things... I clip coupons on everything I can. Diapers, food, baby food, formula, shavers.. etc! We don't eat out unless we're feeling extremely frisky.. DH and I wear our clothes into the ground before we buy new clothes. If I have nice wearable clothes I don't need more. As soon as something has a rip thats not repairable I trash it and get a new one if I need it. I dont need name brand things if there is a store brand of the same Item. Makes no difference to me, except in my bank account :D. I buy my little boy a toy every now and then, but a cheap one since he is only 8 months and doesnt care right now. He is just as happy with a mac n cheese box!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 9:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am frugal about everything! I get hand-me-downs or garage sales clothing for the kids. I don't buy stuff for my husband or myself - unless we don't have clothes. I wear skirts, shirts, etc that are 15 years old! If I do buy new stuff it is for a couple of dollars off the clearance rack. Our entertainment is generally free - free movie rentals with rewards from our credit card. I clip coupons and shop clearance and sales. I wash the clothes in cold water. Hmmm. I am sure there is more - I am just too tired to think.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am very frugal about everything. I rarely buy any clothing item new. They come from Thrift stores and Garage Sales and still look new! Yard Sale season is my favorite time of year because I can find so many things I need. I have tubs that have all of the kids sizes from newborn to Juniors. When I find good deals, I buy them and put it in the appropriate tub. Then when the kids need the next size clothes I get that tub out, wash them and restock the closet. I put the clothes they have outgrown into another labeled tub for the next child. This year I caught a yard sale where a woman was tired and hot and got nice kids clothes for 10 cents a piece. I spent twenty dollars there and got enough to keep them clothed through the winter.
    I make my own laundry soap and household cleaners. Make a meal plan and make my grocery list from it. I buy the store brands and cut coupons. I wash everything in cold water. No credit cards
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am very frugal but that doesn't have to mean buying less. I am buying MORE groceries(name brand too) and spending WAY less money. There are tons of coupon blogs that show you how to do this and it is WAY easier then you think. I use http://www.southernsavers.com/ and she shows you how to get things for cents and sometimes free with coupons and sale match ups. I always heard of people saving tons of money doing this but always thought it was too hard. It is amazing to be able to keep our Fridge, Freezer and Pantry FULL at all times now :-). Last night I saved $100 at Publix!!

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 9:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• At times... I buy new clothes for all of us b/c we are not near good consign shops. I drive a 2011 car after having our last car for 10 years. I pay for private preschool when I could put him in public. We re-use, do not waste food, etc. We do fine though b/c we still put money into savings, college fund.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I make just about everything from scratch. I shop yard sales, goodwill, and clearance sales. I take hand-me-downs for my kids clothing. I consolidate my trips to town. Make my own laundry detergent and windex. I bought cloth napkins at goodwill to use instead of napkins, and we don't use paper towels. I buy generic for most things....
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I try to be.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2010