Is it my pump?

I can't seem to pump any breastmilk! I have a cheap Evenflo Electric Pump and a Medela Manual Pump and I can't seem to get anything by using either. I know I don't have a very big milk supply and I'm pumping to try to increase it but I can hand express A LOT more than I get with the pumps. Am I doing it wrong or could it be the pump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you don't have any holes in the tubing and everything is put together correctly. It sounds odd that you get so much more hand pumping. I always got about the same. Of course electric was alot easier.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i have the same problem my doc said its just my body she said some women can pump but cant breastfeed and some can breastfeed but not pump
    navywifepam

Answer by navywifepam at 8:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i think i went through a few pumps, because of holes and what not. do what works for you
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It takes time to really get milk from the pump. It took me almost 3 weeks to get more then a oz from both breasts. I finally realized that I had to be calm, and relaxed. Also I had a awesome crazy expensive breast pump from my sister, so I knew it was me not the pump. It just takes time, and be calm and relaxed. I oddly also found that looking at a picture of my little guy while pumping helped a lot. :) Good luck
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yeah they say look at a pic of baby, take a warm shower and then pump, also you can massage your boobs before you pump. i always do. keep trying until you get the hang of it. if it doesnt work still after a while, maybe they are right and you are not able to pump. i would at least give it a couple of week, though and bring a positive, calm attitude!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 4:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008