Should I try to start giving my 12month old a paci at night to get her to sleep thru the night?

My 12month old is still nursing a couple times a day and 1-3 times at night. I was wondering if it is too late to try a pacifier to see if it will help her sleep thru the night. She only took it a couple days when she was first born then refused it so it may be a hopeless cause, but I was thinking about trying again. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

jdgr8gal

Asked by jdgr8gal at 9:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 12 months old is actually time to start ditching the paci, not starting one. I would try a snuggle buddy or something.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Chances are that is she has never taken a pacifier before she won't now. AS far as the waking up to nurse goes. Is she waking up and fussing a little and you go int o feed her or is she all out crying. She shouldn't be legitimately hungry. S try just letting her fuss. If she gets truly upset try going in and rubbing her back for a while to see if she falls a sleep. Once she is broken of the night nursing she will ikely wake up fuss a min then go back to sleep. It could take a little while though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If you child hasn't had a paci before I wouldn't give her one now. I would try to feed a fuller dinner and then nursey right before bed.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• don't do it (save yourself)~teeth are coming in soon and an "open bite" is something to try and avoid...sleeping thru the night is a whole different dealio....she is moving away from from using her mouth to self soothe and moving towards her hands (the brain too)...her speech and handwriting will be better in the long run~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't. My daughter (19 mos) has recently fallen in love with a blankie... and I even set boundaries with that. It does not leave the house and is strictly for naptime and bedtime. I have a cousin who is 6 and still carries around a blankie... I don't want my kids to be like that. I would try something like that though. Establish a bedtime routine. Bath, stories, snuggle time, bed. Bedtime is only as stressful as you let it be. Good luck mama!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks to all your replies so far. I did figure it was too late for a paci but am getting desperate to get a full nights sleep after last night waking up 3 times..lol. She is sometime just fussing a little and does go back to sleep but then there are times she is all out crying really hard, and it seems easier to just nurse her to comfort her than just let her "cry it out" (tried it one night for 1 hr and it was horrible and didn't work). My ped told me to just let her cry but to keep going in and patting her head or rubbing her back every 10 min or so so let her know I am still there and she may cry for 3-4 hrs and that's ok :( but by night 3 or 4 she may only wake for a few seconds then fall back asleep on her own. So I guess if trying a pacifier is a bad idea I will try the ped's advice as well as your guys advise. Thank you!
    jdgr8gal

Comment by jdgr8gal (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Mine never liked them. Then after a year, she found one in a diaper bag and popped it in her mouth SO proud of herself;) !? We made them quickly disappear.

Definitely the time to be making them gone not starting. It's bad for their teeth, gums, and IMO not a good life habit to always feel the need of something in our mouth. My theory is it lead tso big snackers;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 9:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• my son is 13 months old and still takes a paci at bed time but it dosen't help him sleep all night, so i doubt that's why your baby is still waking up, sometimes if he eats a little snack and drinks about 8oz of milk before bed he sleeps better GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't...I just broke my son of his binky...he is 20 months. It was the hardest thing to break for him. He cried for an hr and a half before he finally fell asleep without it. If your lil one isn't taking one now, don't start. Try giving a "lovey" item such as a teddy bear etc. Eventually she will sleep through the night..hang in there.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't do it either. If she takes nap I would shorten her naps so that she'll be more tired at night.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2010