Do you take

Lexapro? Seems like everywhere I turn someone is on anti anxiety or depression meds. Do they help alot? Why do so many people need them these days? What do they do for you, how do they make you feel?Very curious..do you think most people on them really need them..or were they jsut going thru something rough or stressed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think more and more people are on these drugs because we know more now than ever about mental illness and brain chemistry. I also don't think it's my place to say whether or not some "really" needs the medication.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I took cimbalta (sp) for a while. It help a lot! I would still take it but I can't afford it!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No, I do not.
    And yes, this type of medication, among others, is too-widely prescribed.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I take Celexa for anxiety, but I want to stop taking it. It's a combo anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med, and I've never been depressed, just anxious. It started after my son was born, for no reason. I tried and tried to control it, and couldn't. I didn't want to take medication, but it does help a lot. It is very subtle. It didn't change my personality, or make me numb or anything...but it makes me tired. Occasionally I'll skip it at night on accident, and the next day I have tons of energy, without anxiety. So...I want to talk to my doctor about stopping taking it. As for being too widely prescribed, who knows? Who is to say who truly needs it, other than doctors?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I took it for two years and it made me feel numb. I do not think I really needed it. My husband died nine months after I got off of it and I never once considered taking it again. On the other hand........my MIL began taking it after the accident and I doubt she will ever come off of it. She says it makes her feel numb as well but in this case it is a necessary evil. My present husband takes a very small dose of it and he says it helps him with anxiety and OCD, again he has that numb feeling. Can I also say that it has diminished, severely, the libido of everyone I've known to take it, myself included.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I took it for awhile after my 4th child was born but it made me feel more suicidal so I quit taking it. My dad took it for awhile after his heart attack left him with major anxiety and it helped him. I'm now on Zoloft and it actually helps. I ran out and didn't have money to get it refilled for 2 weeks and I felt so horrible those 2 weeks. Now that I'm back on it I feel better.
    I don't concern myself with why other people take it or if they need it. That's between them and their doctors. Me...I need it to function. Without anti-depressants I wished I was dead and didn't even want to get out of bed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am not one to say whether someone needs depression or anxiety medicine, but they do change people's personality. If you are careful monitored and given the right type, these medicines can make a world of difference.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not that one, but yes I take anti anxiety meds, and anti-depressant. I can't speak for others but I have bi-polar, PTS. border line personality disorder, anxiety and a few other issues. I take them to function and my issues are do to past events that still haunt me. They make me mellow and allow me to focus and sleep on a regular schedule. Though this is my second try my first meds make me very violent and aggressive.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nope
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 2:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• when I was with my fiance, our constant fighting led to a depression and I sought counseling which led to a lexapro prescription. All they did was make me feel stoned, which my fiance liked because I didnt "nag" as often. But you know what? In all honesty, it wasnt the drugs or counseling I needed...I needed to get rid of him. That psychiatrist was an asshole anyway. He told me if I didnt take the meds I'd make people miserable. Thats not something a professional should say to a depressed client.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010