How do tobacco companies get away with it? It pisses me off!

I don't get it. Any other product on the market that is shown to cause harm is recalled and banned. However, cigarettes have been proven to kill and they're legal. Is it because the government taxes hem so highly and benefit too much to hold the tobacco companies responsible?

I honestly don't blame smokers. My dad smokes, and wants to quit so badly. In every other area of his life he's strong, successful, and responsible, but the cigarettes have such a hold on him. He started smoking before cigarettes were known to cause all of he problems that they do. He has a date set for my son's birthday to stop, so cross your fingers for me.

Anyways, this is kind of a rant. I hate cigarettes! How dare a company sell something that not only is physiologically and mentally addicting, but can also kill you in so many ways. If you use their product for life, it WILL kill you.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen!
    And Hot, don't be stupid. The ingredients in Cigarettes have been proven over and over to kill . Cigarettes are allowed to stay on the market because they tobacco companies give huge amounts of money to Washington. That's it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Have you ever checked out the State & Federal taxes are on a pack of cigs. There is no way the government is ever going to outlaw them.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Then don't smoke...
    However, lets attack fast food while we are at it since obesity has surpassed tobacco as the biggest health threat in the country.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Here is what I don't get. I will wager that some of the people responding negatively towards tobacco and smoking on this thread are in favor of legalizing pot. Smoking is smoking. How can you be so adamantly against one and for the other. At least a person smoking a cigarette will not endanger you or your family when they drive. People who smoke pot do. And don't even get me started on all the illnesses and deaths from alcohol, yet it is just fine. If you die from sclerosis of the liver that you got because you drank way too much and you smoked, the death is attributed to the smoking and not the sclerosis. Manipulation of statistics.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Those who use the argument that smoking is ONLY harming the smoker's body are soooo wrong!!

Second-hand smoke HAS been proven to cause cancer and asthma in CHILDREN who are constantly exposed to it thanks to their parents/close relatives.

Whereas, alcohol (sans DUI) and fatty fast foods ONLY affect the person consuming them. I'm not going to suffer cirrhosis of the liver, a heart attack, stroke, or get diabetes because of what you choose to consume!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Tobacco lobbyists- the DC area is a huge tobacco growing region. Cigs are never going away-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My mother has been smoking since she was a teenager. She's now 79. She does have emphysema and COPD. But the cigarettes are costing her a fortune! $27.99 a carton and at least 9 cartons a month. She lives on SS and wonders why she never has any money. I live in NC and tobacco is one of our major money makers in our state. The president ups the prices so that it gets so hi, that people will have to stop smoking. My mother doesn't think it will make any difference. She would rather have them than food! I don't smoke and don't ever plan to start. It is extremely addicting. I come home everyday and smell like her and people notice. That's bad!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, fast food won't kill you. It could, if you ate the wrong things at an extreme level that is a bit easier to control than nicotine. Fast food isn't physiologically addicting, cigarettes are. And I don't smoke, thank you. I did for a couple of years until I got pregnant, when I stopped.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Have you ever checked out the State & Federal taxes are on a pack of cigs. There is no way the government is ever going to outlaw them."

Oh, I don't expect them to go away. That's why I was ranting, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I do not want them outlawed. I think ppl should have the right to choose what to do with or put in their own bodies.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010