Going back to work VS. staying home.....

I have been a teacher for 10 years & I love my job. I just had my 1st baby 2 months ago & I don't want to leave her! I go back to work on 9/27. I feel like I'm in between a rock & a hard place! I love my job, but I hate to miss out on any memories of her as a baby & I love staying home with her. My husband suggested maybe babysitting from home. What is everyone's opinion?? PLEASE help!!

AshleighsMamma

Asked by AshleighsMamma at 10:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If you can afford it and remain ingood standing so you can return if you need to, stay hm. I have worked since my oldest was 2 and she is 12 now. I have missed a lot of her life. She will be grown in a few years. I wish I could be hm with her now. You have the rest of your life to work, you only have your baby for a little while. I am teary as I type this.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Its only a choice you know the right answer too.. This is no Pop quiz you might fail...
    -You can be a SAHM for the time being if you want. You can always return to work if you change your mind (depending on how hard it would be to get your position back?)
    - You could Sub (like someone else said).. that way you spend most time with your child.. but have times when you are doing what you love.
    -You could tutor for extra money if that is on your mind. and it would be on your terms!

Alot of woman cannot do the sahm thing. that is fine.. But there are those of us that love being a sahm & would rather do it forever. So if being a sahm drives you crazy-thats OK you still love your kid just as much!!! Go back to work! What keeps you happy keeps your family happier..
    If being a sahm is your new dream in life. Go for it! your no less of a woman for not wanting to bring home a check (as long as you can afford it financially)..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Congrats on the baby :).....i just had twin boys so i feel ya on going back to work....i have not been working for almost a year so its gonna feel wierd when i do go back to work. your right about missing all the precious moments they do trust me i know.....my kids call me CAMERAMOM Lol because i have my camera on standby at all times LOL :)....how does ur spouse feel about ur feeling with the situation? do u think that he would be supportive if you wanted to stay home for a couple of months to get a feel of being at home but i dont know ur financial situatuion but its a good idea to talk about it.
    cute504dimples

Answer by cute504dimples at 10:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i think it might be a good idea to substitute teach for a couple of months to transition back into work. being home all the time would drive me crazy, but it is hard to leave your newborn. if things are tight on just your hubby's income, then subbing will help as much as babysitting while giving you the chance to do what you really love and even interact with other adults (which you will crave after a while). after a couple months of subbing you will be in a better position to decide wether you want to work full time, continue to sub, or stay at home.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Personally, I feel like being home full time is like being in prison... I've been home full time for just about 4 years. There is NO adult contact, NO freedom and NO break... Going back to work was a blessing for me. It allowed me to be the mom I wanted to be, to make those memories and still to keep my sanity... As a teacher you're gone what? 9-10 hours a day tops? Just make sure that when you ARE home you're spending that time with her...

I say go back. If it doesn't work for you after this school year or after a few months, change... But don't be to quick to give up your career.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Just take a year off you can always go back
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 2:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I love my job, but I loved my girls more (not saying you don't love your child just to clarify) I stayed home for 4 and a half years until they started pre-k where I worked part time then they started kindergarten and I went back to full time. I struggled as well when my 2nd was born she and her sister are 9 months apart so I was lucky to be able to stay home with both but what made the ultimate decision was when I missed a milestone. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 5:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I loved my career for 9 years, then decided to be a SAHM for DD. It was tough! I missed my career so much, but I gained so many memories with DD! I nanny for 2 little boys now to make up for the lost income, and I love it! I bring DD, and I get to contribute to our income. Find out what's available in your area before making a final decision. I was fortunate enough to nanny for a family that could pay well, but I know that's not the case for a lot of families in our country's economic situation. If you were a teacher, you should have good references and may be in demand in the nanny field :~) GL with your decision! Its not an easy one for sure.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2010