Special bond from breast feeding?

Do you really feel like you have a special bond with your child from breastfeeding? I am so incredibly inlove with my son, and feel like we are bonded, but I feel like its because he is my son. I would love him just the same if I had chosen to bottle feed. Infact, I really do not enjoy breast feeding at all. I just do it for the health benefits. Anyone else feel like maybe the "special bond" from breastfeeding is blown a little out of proportion?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, with my first child I didnt feel any more special of a bond like you said I still loved him even if I bottle fed. ( i had a very rough time nursing him do I gave up). Now with this little guy (born on August 25th) I have strictly nursed him since day one and OMG the bond is completely different. He just lays there and stares at me like he is amazed I am his mommy. I cry almost everytime. I think it may have more to do because we tried for 3 years to get pregnant again or maybe it is because this time nursing has been so succesful.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• BF time is always going to be more special than FF time. We all know that. Anyone can put some powder and water in a bottle shake it up and call it a meal, but only mommies can give the best treat, dinner, breakfast, snack , in the world. BF also releases this wonderful hormone that just helps you relax, which I think also gives that extra bonding time.

But I will say I have never FF or given my son a bottle personally, he has had a bottle of Breast milk given by his dad, but that it is. I just know bf is unique to mommy and baby and is a special designated time to bond.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Of course we love our babies no matter how we feed them. The term bond literally means "something that binds a person or persons to a certain circumstance or line of behavior." The act of breastfeeding is "special" if you ask me and therefore the phrase "special bond" shouldn't be confused with love.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have breastfed and bottle fed......there is a bond that you get with both but when you breastfeed you are nourishing your child from yourself, there is a feeling of "being complete". Knowing that you are the one sustaining your child is different, it makes you feel like you can do anything. My oldest couldn't breastfeed and at the time I didn't know what I missed out on......he did get breastmilk, just from a bottle but it was different.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Im with mommyH2 and I also wanted to add, bf is something just very different, its hard to explain unless you have done it. Your body actually takes over. If baby started crying out of hunger, my milk started leaking, everytime. So I think the bond is there either way, but our bodies that do bf pretty much set up the arrangement for us,,,lol It was like this spontaneous thing that happened whenever baby was ready to nurse. I hope that makes sense,,anyway
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I've done both, and I don't think breast feeding means a stronger bond. I'm deeply bonded with all three of my kids and even when they were bottle fed, cuddled and cooed with them just as much as when they were breast fed.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I've never bottle-fed my daughter, so I can't really compare. But like PP said, it's very diifferent when you're nourishing your child with your own body. Everything you have is going into making your baby grow & develop. I can't imagine not nursing my little girl.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I too have done both and I don't think I bonded any differently with the child I nursed than the one that didn't. I never felt it was about the mechanism. It was about the time together. I think part of the spin on this though depends greatly on your personal feelings about the breastfeeding expereince. I was not enamored with it. I did it because I wanted to give my child the benefit of breastmilk. I didn't feel any different about the experience because one was a bottle and one was me. I was still cuddling the child I had carried for 9 months and for whom I went through hell delivering. (Well one was hellaious. the other wasn't quite as awful in delivery!) For me bonding came in many places and the fact that my oldest would not nurse and my youngest did wasn't a factor.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Not to me, in fact, for me BF was a miserable, painful experience that I suffered through for the sake of my children. I did not feel any special bonding or completeness. I did not make enough milk to actually sustain my children, we supplemented with formula. I bonded with my children because they are my children, not because of how I fed them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• 1. Breastfeeding my baby I knew I could support my child health with my own body as it was meant. Just like natural birth gave me this super powerful feeling.. so did breastfeeding.. I was supporting life as I did while pregnant.. So it was special.
    2. You dont have to BF to get skin-2-skin time with a baby. I felt very bonded with my child when bathing with her. It was special to have that skin to skin contact. Research into it :)
    3. Giving birth was an "us" thing.. me & newborn had to work "together" during labor.. So did nursing! We had to learn it together! So with each I felt we had accomplished something together. WE did it! (surviving tough times with someone creates a bond) The 1st time she nursed with no problems (no relatching, no pain, no difficulties) I cried for joy! We conquered that mountain together!
    Nursing was bonding for us. Would need more space to count them all.. lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2010