Do you have a teen that says they have homework, but when they sit down to do it, they only spend maybe 10 minutes on it and then they say they are done?

Or they say they grabbed the wrong books?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in

• Be more strict.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was that teen. I flunked a bunch of classes and got bad grades in the rest. And I still graduated with the "Academic Excellence" diploma. Which was the best of the three my HS offered.

That is why I put my kids in a charter school with high standards of excellence. And why I am adamant about making sure my child does his work and turns it in.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son is not a teen yet, but I remember pulling that stuff when I was a teen. lol
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• nope, my kids are far from the teen years, but here's a bump!
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I did that and my grades suffered... so there were consequences to that... Now a days the internet is a VERY wonderful thing for parents b/c you can check right on line what is due, what they have missed, their grades etc and the consequences can be immediate..
    I'd suggest doing that ... if they are on track... well it is what it is...
    also on Open House you can find out what the typical HW and/or requirements for each teacher are and if there are any issues.
    And yes I'd go to Open House ESPECIALLY in H.S.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Nope. That would not fly at my house. My daughter is in her fourth year of a six year high school program. She averages three hours of homework during the week; around ten hours on the weekends. She should graduate high school with a full year of college credits.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• That was me!!!! But in Colorado, I would spend every waking moment on homework if I did do it all. Their policy was "you should have homework in EVERY subject EVERY night" and it was not to be started in class. Class time was for the teacher to teach the lesson and not for you to do work!!!! I even had one teacher that would send home worksheets that you couldn't find the answers to!!! But my problem with all of it was this - everyone always told me that going to school was like me having a job. Well, I looked around at the other adults in my life that had jobs and I didn't see them having to bring their work home with them or having to spend every waking moment working on something for work!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010