Naked Time Outside

My DD is 4 and loves to be outside in the nude. She is usually confined to the back yard but sometimes heads for the front. I have not received any complaints from the neighbors, but I'm wondering if others allow their kids to roam free, and what age do they call a halt to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our kids had gotten used to wearing clothing by the time they were this age. She should be starting school next year (maybe two) but should really have a handle on wearing clothes while outside before this time comes. At four she is old enough to understand that her clothes have to stay on while outside, if she takes them off, she has to go in the house for a while. I would be careful not to make her think nudity is bad, but to understand that it's not okay to take your clothes off outside.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• IMO a child should never be outside naked. If they do, it should stop at a year.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• wow,,,you have not received any complaints from the neighbors? what the heck does that mean? Why would you put your precious child in a position that the neighbors might complain about, and that you are aware they might complain about? Geez,,,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No Way!!! I don't even let my daughter run naked in the house much less outside where pedophiles, sex offenders and non-family would be seeing her.

This is a bad idea. How are you going to teach her the right and wrong places to be naked? If it is okay to run naked outside at home, then why not at the park? or the mall? or the food store? or daycare?
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would just make sure she has learned when its ok to be naked & clearly when its not ok to be naked....
    Shes 4.. She can be taught things through by telling her "the park/ the store/ front yard/school is places we keep our clothes on"..

Id make sure she stuck to the back yard, where people cannot see her.. Other than that I would not mind unless it became a problem -- Like NEVER wanting to wear clothes.. or pitching a fit when you told her to put clothes on because visitors are coming over..

My niece ran around naked alot. We only see then 1wk a yr (diff states) & she had no problem walking around us naked lol. chillin' watching tv or whatever.. but she knew not to go in the front yard. she (now 7yo) is fine going to school & keeping her clothes on, and only wears panties at school & I think she is still a streaker too alot.. BUT she understands public = clothes!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No...there's too many freaks out there and a freak, if watching my DD run around the yard naked, isn't about to "complain" about it...."roaming free" is fine and dandy, inside the house behind closed doors and up to a point, but at 4? No....just....no.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If your back yard were enclosed by a privacy fence, I don't really think it matters right now, but if she is running around the front of the house in an open area where people can see her, well, that is a bit much. There are a lot of creepy people out there. How about letting her have a set "naked time" IN the house?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• no way! I'd be paranoid that some pedophile was taking her photo or video & posting it on the internet. Too many weirdos, not to mention the increased risk of sunburn.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my kiddos... 3 and 2 ... know that while it's okay to run around the house in panties.. it's not okay to be outside in anything less than their swimming suits... and even then we prefer a cover up if they are not physically IN the pool...
    it's just something kiddos should learn to deal with... and they need to know that while things are okay at home, they are not okay in public... while it's your back yard, it's still a public area...
    totally inappropriate...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't allow my child at 4 to run outside naked ever! As has been said this is dangerous for a lot of reasons.

Inside I think it is okay for a young child,this age, to go from the bath to their bedroom to get pjs on if they have opposite sex sibs. If not and it is just the child and mommy then what the heck no worries.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010