what is the best way to approach a friend with advice about parenting?

my friend has a 9 mouth old daughter she is so cute but she is crawling and starting to get into everything. she says her daughter is too young to decipline im scared that one day her daughter will get hurt. if u have kids what don't they touch?

chipNskip

Asked by chipNskip at 11:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I start by asking the parent if it ok if I offer them a tip. If they say its ok they just say your piece as kindly as you can. If they refuse just say that you are sorry you bothered them.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• She should babyproof her house and keep things that could hurt the baby out of reach. Maybe you could tell her about some really cool child-proofing items you saw while you were at the store or something.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I can honestly say the best way to ruin a friendship is to start judging and offering advice JMO
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would let her make her own parenting mistakes.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Just express your concerns about little one getting hurt if she touches such-and-such.
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 11:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You do NOT give her any advice, if she wants it she will ask. You would be ruining a friendship if you gave her advice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with Chica, everyone style is different. I personally would be incredibly mad if someone didn't think I was doing a good enough job. I never officially baby proofed my house, just kept a good eye on my boys. They all get into things, they all destroy thing (on accident) and they all get hurt. You can not bubble wrap them, believe me I tried! LOL!

BTW you really can't discipline a 9 month old, just lots of distraction. What do you think that she could do better?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....need I say more!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Unsolicited advice won't go well. If you are concerned about safety, you can say I know you don't want to discipline, do you want me to help you w/some baby locks and help you put up whatever is in her house that is a hazard? Be careful how you word it, make it out like you are on her side and helping her.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with Chica and MamaRoberts. Giving unsolicted parenting advice is one of those things you really need to step back and think hard on. There's a time and a place - as in, when it's asked for or when someone opens the door wide and yells out "Come and butt in!" The rest of the time though? Umm, really, think hard on this one.

A 9 month old is not going to respond to disipline. A 9 month old can be redirected. A 9 month old can be consistantly told "no, don't touch." But that's not disipline. It's simply parenting. Baby proofing? My kids had door knob covers to deter them and outlet plugs. They did not have anything beyond that. I never moved my picture frames or the knick knacks. I said redirected after saying "no fingers. Eyes only" several times. They got it. I had friends that moved EVERYTHING out of the way. Who was right? I don't know. All our kids are just fine today. Perhaps we were all right doing our thing.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010