What's tandem breastfeeding?

What is it?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• feeding two babies at a time at the breast.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Breastfeeding two children.
    As an example. I tandem fed my son (1yr) and my newborn for about a month.until I could fully wean my son.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Or tandem nursing may be also nursing twins at the same time. One on the right and one on the left. Tandem means two on the same cycle or two at the same time.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Twins....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nursing a baby and toddler at the same time (tandem nursing usually refers to this, not twins)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• when I nursed my twins at the same time it was always referred to as tandem nursing by NICU staff, pediatrician, nurses, and lactation consultants.

Here's what wikipedia says:
    Feeding two children at the same time is called tandem breastfeeding The most common reason for tandem breastfeeding is the birth of twins, although women with closely spaced children can and do continue to nurse the older as well as the younger. As the appetite and feeding habits of each baby may not be the same, this could mean feeding each according to their own individual needs, and can also include breastfeeding them together, one on each breast.

frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 11:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010