is this tacky??

my son's birthday is in a few weeks. I am thinking of sending a small card with the clothing sizes he wears listed, and also mentioning that we are opening a college account for him.
My family lives far away and don't get to see him very often so I want to convey that he doesn't need a ton of toys or clothes that don't fit him (he is pretty big for his age).
does this seem like a tacky idea? or do you think it will be helpful and appreciated??

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is rather rude. You might send out the invitations to those who will be attending. and if you think realitives from far away will send something talk to your mother and mention to her that if anyone asks he wears such'n'such a size and you will be putting all checks into a college fund.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• To family only I don't see it as a bad idea. If you are sending them to friends, then I would not include the card. If you are worried about him getting too many toys, then you buy him clothes and let the others buy him toys.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For family, it is helpful, imho.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Maybe Im reading this wrong... but this is how it is coming across to me... .

I am thinking of sending a small card with the clothing sizes he wears listed, and also mentioning that we are opening a college account for him. My family lives far away and don't get to see him very often so I want to convey that he doesn't need a ton of toys or clothes that don't fit him (he is pretty big for his age). does this seem like a tacky idea?

It sounds as if you are sending a card to realitives you dont see to inform them that it is your sons birthday and what you expect them to buy.  To me that sounds very rude.  If they were invited to travel to a birthday party and were curious wouldnt they call you or your mother?  To just say hey my son is turning one and this is what we want... seems rude.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I am sending INVITATIONS to my family to INVITE them to my son's birthday party. I am thinking about including a SMALL CARD with the invitation listing his clothing sizes (he is almost 3 and wears 5T... he is pretty big) and mentioning that we have opened a college account for him.
    the family is attending the party (grandparents, etc). Because they don't see him very often I was hoping to give them a few gift ideas.

bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Family or not, I hate getting lists included with invites. The ones who want to know will contact you. If you get things that don't fit, exchange them, it's really not a big deal. We know some people who always send out a "wish list" with their kids's birthday invites, sizes, favorite colors, room themes, and even really specific... "wants a Betty Boop wall clock (not an alarm clock) colors should be red, black and white - no purple" I get it that you are not going this far, and that you are probably wanting to help out your family members, but leave it to them to ask you about his likes or dislikes and sizes. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Honestly, if it's family, I don't think it's tacky at all. Most people in MY family will ask me ahead of time what my children need...giving them a heads up, imho, is helpful. Now with friends, etc....I wouldn't do this.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Everyone of us that has kids knows that all birthdays and holidays our kids get toys that they aren't ready for (put them up until they are), clothes that don't fit ( too small exchange or give away too big put them up until you can use them). Gifts are just that gifts from family and friends. They give our kids what they want them to have. If they want to know what YOU want for your child they will ask. To send suggestions is presumptuous that they can afford to give anything.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think it would be more polite to just send out your invites without the info. If they're anything like my family & friends, they will call & ask for some ideas of what they could get, then it would be perfectly fine to give sizes &/or a few suggestions of inexpensive toys they could get.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I personally would not send anything suggesting you expect gifts. If they call or email you asking what sizes he wears or what he might like, THEN it would be appropriate to suggest money for college fund, or clothing in the size he needs. I don't really think it is ever appropriate to send something in a party invitation that suggests you are EXPECTING gifts.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2010