I need some encouragement. Did I make the right decision?

My 13 year old daughter is in grade 8 and our school vaccinates the grade 8 girls with Gardasil. Today she brought home the consent home. I checked and signed the section that states she does NOT have my consent.
This has made me feel like I'm gambling with her life one way or the other! Did I make the right decision?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 11:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Health

• I have no idea if you made a good or bad choice.

But just for curiosity sake... what was your reasoning?

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I think the vaccine is a good idea. However, I don't know how I feel about my child getting it at the school instead of a dr's office.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• If you are not comfortable with her receiving the vaccine then you did the right thing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• i would never allow my babies to be vaccinated with that.
    Girls have died after receiving it. there are over 50 types of hpv, and gardasil supposedly protects against 2 or 3 types? also, if you believe that some types of hpv may cause cervical cancer, you must realize that there are other causes of cervical cancer. the vaccine is a HUGE gamble. I think you made a great choice!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• That's not really for me to say, but I would have given consent for it. I'll take any protection for my kids that I can get, and that includes vaccinations.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My sister in law got the shot and now half of her face is permanently paralyzed all due to the gardasil shot! She got it at 14 years old...so sad!!!!!!! There are TONS of girls whom have had those problems and more from the shot.
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 11:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee too though. If your instincts told you not to do it, maybe it's good that you didn't.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I don't trust the vaccine.  I feel that it's production was rushed and it was pushed rather aggressively on the public, and there have not been been enough clinical studies done.  Also there are some very serious side effects and even deaths associated with this vaccine. 

kword:  The vaccines are administered by trained nurses from the local health authority.  My girls have received hepatitis shots at school.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When did it become the school's idea to vaccinate OUR kids? That is definitely a parent decision. If the parent wants it, I they that their doctor would be the one giving it to them. They would be giving out better information on the vaccine than the school I would imagine.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You can always get it for her when you or she is ready. It is not the end of the world...it is offered all the time. I think anybody who can get it should but that is just me and my opinion.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2010