what can help to increase brest milk

my son is 15 days old and i love to brest feeding but due to less milk i have to give him formula ...i need to know if there is way to increase brestmilk which can make me stop using formula

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink LOTS of water, get some "mother's milk" tea, drink a half a dark beer every couple days, relax and feed on demand first..bottle second.
    You could also have a "nurse in". Sit in bed with movies or books for 48 hours. Don't do ANYTHING but nurse...ALL THE TIME! The more you nurse the better your milk will come in :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• YES go to your nearest local health food store of GNC and get fenugreek! it works AMAZINGLY!!!!!!!!!
    I took it when I was near being dried up...that very same day it produced 2 ounces every couple hours..the next day I was giving 6 to 8 ounces out of one breast! i swear it's true!!!!!!
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 11:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Nurse as often as you can and stay hydrated. I hear that oatmeal helps produce more milk. If possible, pump btwn or after feedings. What makes you think you aren't producing enough milk? Is it just bc your breasts don't feel as engourged or bc the baby isn't wetting enough diapers? Maybe you are producing enough and just don't realize it bc your breasts don't hurt as much. After a while, they do start to produce less bc they overproduce at first. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would love to know how you think you are not producing enough milk too? Nurse the baby every time he is fussy, even when he is not, drink loads of water, eat fruits and put your feet up.Don't do too much stuff. Stay close to the baby, skin to skin if possible.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• STOP GIVING FORMULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feed him every time he cries!!!!!!!!!!!! The very second you gave him formula, is the very second your breast stopped producing as much because he wasn't getting the boob every time he cried.

His stomach is the size of a ping pong ball at most...he doesn't freakin' need to eat even an ounce of food. So, if you are making any, you are making enough.

If he is fussy and eating more, nurse him more. If your breast don't FEEL full, it's ok. FEED one side per feeding. The more you nurse, the more you make. Pumping output means nothing. Baby gets out WAY more milk than any pump.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Fenugreek might help. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Hi! I have a 2 month old & was having the same issue. This is what worked great for me. Ask your dr. for a prescription for Reglan. It is a stomach medication & it is also used to increase breast milk. It takes a day or 2 to work & it worked really well for me. Also, take Fenugreek. It is an herb used to increase breast milk. You can find it at your local natural health food store or any GNC. Remember to drink lots of water, milk & 100% juice & eat oatmeal! Oatmeal also increases your flow. There are other herbs known to increase your milk flow, such as blessed thistle, nettle & alfalfa, but I would stick with the Reglan, Fenugreek & the oatmeal. Good luck to you!! :-)
    AshleighsMamma

Answer by AshleighsMamma at 8:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yes you can take fenugreek it worked great for me it took a few days to work but after that you will see a big difference
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Stop giving formula and nurse more. If you think he is still hungry after breastfeeding, and think he needs formula, instead put him BACK on the breast! You are always making milk, your breasts are never empty. Just nurse, nurse, and nurse some more, and this will tell your body to make more milk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010