Does the fact that our country is considered "civilized" make the religious beliefs of it's inhabitants more valid?

I'm watching Monster Quest. The team is in a very remote area in Africa and talking to natives about a local "myth" creature which many of them claim to have seen, and which also plays a part in their local religious beliefs. One of the scientists they interviewed discredited the validity of these sightings simply because "these people have a different view of what is real." He stated that "civilized people in civilized society require real proof, not eye witnesses and invalid religious beliefs."

So does something loose credibility simply because it comes out of an "uncivilized" area? And does that mean it gains credibility simply because the people in the area are seen as "civilized"?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• bump
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 12:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• To many, yes. People who are from uncivilized cultures are considered "backward" and "uneducated" and are often associated with doing things that we see as taboo. In any case, I would consider multiple eye witness accounts to be a good bit of evidence. New creatures are discovered all the time, this may be one of those cases.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wonder if their spiritual leaders say were strange cause of what we believe. (We meaning anything other than what they do). It is all in perspective.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I bet that guy is atheist.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I believe that all religious values have validity. I do not believe being civilized makes it more valid.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's bull. Look at us who are said to be civilized. We have the Jersey Devil, Sasquatch, the Chuprecaubra. I mean there are legends in every area of the world. Some more out there then others, some based of religion, some may even be caused by hallucinations, It does not make you less civilized. Not to mention I'm Christian and believe in many of the stories my self. While other Christians don't, so how can it be subjected to one particular group.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• there are times when watching shows like that, that I feel that way, OP.

not always, but when they seem particularly primitive, I tend to not take it as seriously
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, they are valid to the person who believes them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• All religions of the world require faith - which is believing without proof... so I guess we're all uncivilized.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 10:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think a scientist who is willing to be interviewed for Monster Quest has already forfeited being taken seriously. He thinks it's a myth, but he's still participating in the show. Whatever you say, mister.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010