Is this cruel?

I have a teddy bear hamster and when I feed him he usually will pick the sunflower seeds out of his food bowl and eat those first. I used to refill the dish every night when I cleaned the cage but then he ended up eating nothing but sunflower seeds. So I started only refilling the dish when it is almost empty, usually twice a week. That way he ends up eating his least favorite food eventually. Hubby thinks this is cruel that I should feed him every day. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2010 in Pets

• No, it's perfectly fine to do that. Just make sure he's still getting enough to eat. You might want to figure out about how much he eats in one day and just give him that much.
    He's not getting adequate nutrition if he just eats the parts he likes. I would highly consider switching him to lab blocks rather than a seed mix. They tend to be higher quality and that way he's forced to eat a balanced diet.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 7:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• aww thats not nice lol but he needs to eat other stuff than just seeds n needs other nutritions that come from the other food in his pet food...
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was concerned about him getting enough nutrition. Sunflower seeds have a lot of fat in them.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 12:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Our hamster was the same way, he loved the sunflower seeds and the pumpkin seeds. I bought a bag of nothing but sunflower seeds and added that to the food mix so he had more, but he still had to eat the other stuff too. I figured it was in there for a reason and he might need some of it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Its fine - if you want to give him a treat - get him one of those seed covered sticks you find in the pet store.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 10:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think you should start buying only sunflower seeds
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2010