pre-expecting diaper shopping...

My husband and I aren't expecting, but we've had friends recommend that we go ahead and stock up on baby items that won't spoil. Mainly diapers and the things we're going to use a lot of....what are your thoughts? I certainly think it's a good idea, we're going to have kids and we have plenty of room in our house to store items....so I guess my actual question is typically how many diapers of each stage are used??

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 12:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think I blocked it out of my memory....SO MANY DIAPERS!!!!!! You really can't go wrong with going to Costco and just getting the bulk boxes of diapers and wipes!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I read a post here the other day about expired diapers, so it seems they can "go bad" or something. The amount of diapers in each size you would need would depend on the size of your baby at birth. I wouldn't buy too many before you are expecting, it might take longer than you think to conceive.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It really depends on the baby. My baby was born kinda big and hasn't slowed with her growing yet. She was in newborn for a couple months at least. I couldn't begin to tabulate the number of diapers we used in those months. It seemed like a million. She seemed to fly through size 1 and size 2. And now we are at 5 months and she is a size 3. So maybe we will stay at 3 for a bit. You can never have too many diapers. We did have more packs than we could use, but I ended up donating them to a pregnancy resource center. The only thing that could wrong as far as I can see is if your baby is one that has super sensitive skin and can only use one type of diaper. My sisters baby was this way. And if you have luck like mine it will not be the brand that you buy that they can wear! Same with wipes
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• While I think it's over the top to buy diapers ( or anything) before you are even pregnant, I'd suggest buying mostly bigger sizes. Size 2 or 3. Remember, many people change the brand of diapers they are using because either the baby is sensitive to the brand or the parents don't end up liking them for one reason or another. It would be a shame to have a ton of pampers and realize they leak like crazy and you'd rather be using huggies!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You know that's hard to do. When we started out we did huggies but they leaked because my son was so small that huggies just didn't fit right. So we used pampers. They didn't leak but they caused him to rash. So we did 7th generation diapers untill he got a little bigger and filled out a little and then we went back to huggies. Tried LUVS but they never fit my kids right. For wipes we could only use Pamper's sensitive touch. Now that DD is older she can hande Target's sore brand. Diaper creams were another adventure. No I don't think you should stock up. That's something you can do durring pregancy(plus u get a lot of coupons in the mail then). Plus who knows you may end up looking into cloth diapering(a lot of my friends do that). A better option to do would be to start setting aside a little money when ever you can for your baby fund. Then when the time comes to get diapers you all ready have that money set aside
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with Lynette....I would either get a piggy bank or open a saving account for the future little ones. This way you can put a little in it each paycheck and still have a good lump sum of money put back for when you find out you are expecting. It's hard to know what diapers will work and what sizes. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Until the lil one is actually here, you have no idea what size / shape it will be.
    Absolute waste of money stocking up on a load of diapers, because what if that particular brand don't fit right? They're not all the same shape.
    My lil one tried huggies, leaked every single time. Pampers fit her like a dream.

I'd suggext buying a small pack of every small size, and then stock up on things like clothes, and that's about it. (chewing gum works a treat, especially the vapour ones if their poo is bad).....

Wipes dry out, nappies may not fit... it seems pointless if you aren't even sure you're pregnant. Just put some money aside. That way nothing gets wasted.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Huggies were the only ones my DS DIDN'T pee out of when sleeping, and YES, we did point it south. LOL I say at least wait until you're preggo. You have no idea of knowing what size you will need first. Newborn, premie, 1...seriously, any of them could be needed.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with the others. You never know what size or diapers will work best. If you want to buy some stick with a size 2 or bigger. They usually stay in size 3 or 4 the longest. My son was over 9lbs at birth and never fit into newborn diapers and only wore size 1 for like a couple weeks and was in size 3 by the time he was like 8 weeks old and was in size 4 before he was 4 months. My girls were tiny and wore newborn for a couple weeks and then size 1-2 for a couple months. My oldest was still in a size 3 at 1 1/2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If it were me I would wait- as you don't know what size the baby will be, how fast he/she will grow or if he/she will have issues with some of the diapers. If you feel that you really have to stock up now, my suggestion would be to buy the small pkg of size 2,3,4 diapers in various brands.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010