"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have?"

What, if anything, does this mean to you? Where do you find this particularly applicable in the current state of things?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 12:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is exactly where we are heading, and it needs to be stopped. Americans used to not only be able to take care of themselves, but they took pride in being capable of doing so. When most people lived and felt that way, America flourished and the government was much smaller and far less intrusive. Now that so many depend on the government and/or believe that the government should take care of them, create rules and laws to 'protect' them, and wants the government to control things so they don't have to bother our government is a monstrosity and grows more power hungry every day. I don't know whether to be sickened or saddened by the realization that a large segment of the population is literally in bondage to it. Uncle Sam is now a caricature of a slave owner and capable Americans have been reduced to being called domestic terrorists.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's like President Reagan said, As government expands, liberty contracts.

He also said, The federal government has taken too much tax money from the people, too much authority from the States, and too much liberty with the Constitution.

Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem.

Obama needs to study up on President Reagan.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• This is absolutely applicable and in the working today. We are losing our constitutional and civil rights slowly, but surely.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The more we allow the government to intervene in our lives through healthcare or education or food or housing or whatever, the more power they have to tell us how to live. And I don't want them to tell me what healthcare I can have or how to educate my children or what I can and can't eat or where I can live. I don't want them controlling me. I want to control them. They are supposed to be representing what we want, not telling us what we have to accept. Remember 'of the people, by the people, for the people'? I do.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When you relinquish your ability to provide for your own needs (food, clothing, housing, medical, transportation) and the gov. is the entity that is responsible for these basic needs, the gov. then holds the power and is able to control and manipulate you. They can withhold food, put us in the smallest of shelters, deny medical care, allow/deny movement and more. Oh, this can't happen, really? Check the conditions in the USSR from Stalin to the fall of the government. Check out China. That is what government strong enough to provide for your needs can do. No thank you. I would rather go without and have to figure out a way to acquire these things on my own through my hard work than have the gov. "give" them to me. Nothing is free. Nothing. You will pay a price that I don't think you are prepared to pay.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• ....well, not that slowly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with the above quote. If you're dependent on someone giving you what you have, don;t be surprised when they stop being so generous! On the flip side, that which you intelligently acquire on your own, can never be taken from you. (Notice I said intelligently!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Actually, I think it is pretty self explanatory. You want to be babied by the government then you better be prepared to have your freedoms taken away. Sad more people don't care.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:02 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Jesse..my oldest son (17) was learning of Hitler and Stalin along with his class in school..afterwards he says..'you know mom Obama reminds me of Stalin'...he actually made that comment outloud in front of his class too.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• hotmama:..........so the statement is meaning less to me.

I didn't vote you down, but I think you were probably fine until you said this. That is my guess anyway.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 11, 2010