My 10 year old - Extremely picky eater & eats nothing but junk....

How did you get your picky eater to eat healthy? Suggestions, fool proof recipes? Help! My son would rather starve than eat anything that he didn't like.

babylotus

Asked by babylotus at 12:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Quit buying stuff you don't want him to eat. If it's not there, he can't eat it, he'll have to eat things that are good for him.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with 4time-mom. If you don't buy junk, he can't eat junk unless he goes somewhere else....and if he does go somewhere else, you can always talk to his friends' parents and tell them what's going on.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 12:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• That's a pretty simple fix....QUIT BUYING JUNK!

PARENTS are to blaim for their children's eating habits. Plain and simple. Kid's learn eating habits from PARENTS!

-put spinach in pasta sauces
    - mix it in the ricotta cheese when I make homemade calzone (can actually be made SUPER healthy and very low fat if you make your own dough and fillings)
    -add chopped onions and bell peppers to chili,
    -make "taco soup" with tomatoe soup,
    -make homemade pasta sauce and mix carrot puree or spinach in it (the kids will just be amazed by the colorful pasta),
    -use mashed banannas or low fat yogurt to sweeten oatmeal,
    -make homemade cinnamon raisen bread and homemade strawberry yogurt spread,
    -take two gram crackers (made with whole grain if you can find them) and fill the middle with yogurt. Freeze them and WALAH you've got healthy ice cream sandwhiches.
    -EAT HEALTHY YOURSELF! Kid's learn by example!!
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've honestly tried that he will not eat. He will eat 5 slices of bread or something that he likes instead. I want him to eat more of a variety of foods - esp eat veggies & more healthy foods. He eats chicken nuggets, hotdogs & pizza. What I've done is baked him home made nuggets, made home made pizza using whole wheat dough & bought hot dogs w/o nitrates. I also worked out a deal with him, that he has to try one new food a week. 1 out of 10 new foods he "kinda" likes....which usually means he'll take 3 bites. He's so bad that we went out of the country recently and he didn't eat anything but rice, bacon and bread b/c he refused to eat the food...we were there for 3 weeks! I'm hoping he grows out of this and this is just a phase!
    babylotus

Comment by babylotus (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I really wish it was that simple. My husband and I eat pretty healthy - we eat a ton of fresh fruit and veggies & love a wide variety of foods, I really don't know where he gets this from. I'm constantly leaving fruit out, making him try veggies to no avail. ):

@ kate - this healthy dessert may have a chance! thanks so much! - "take two gram crackers (made with whole grain if you can find them) and fill the middle with yogurt. Freeze them and WALAH you've got healthy ice cream sandwhiches."
    babylotus

Comment by babylotus (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• believe it or not, he would not rather starve. Human instinct will kick in and hunger is way to much fora a human to handle. AT age 10 your focus should not be about tricking him into eating healthy, but teaching him why he should be eating healthy and modeling the behavior. Its simple, change the way you eat, and stop bringing in junk food. AT this point, he cannot drive to the store and buy his own food. I would suggest teaching him what will happen to his body if he continues to eat only junk.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Andy you said that he will eat only bread if you don't give him hwat he wants... don't give him bread.. Our rule at home is eat what is given to you or don't eat at all. IF you make a healthy meal, he can eat it, or he can go to bed hungry. Its less about food and more about will, and right now, he is in charge.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• He won't starve - no child has ever starved to death in front of a full plate. Really, he might not eat for a day or two and that won't hurt him in the long run and it'll teach him that you really mean business. Keep the junk food out of the house and limit bread to after he's eaten what's on his plate. He's working you Mama! He knows that he just has to wait you out to get what he wants!!

On the positive side of things: have him help you cook. Have him pick out things, giving him a little guidence, like, "Which of these three green vegetables do you want to try tonight?". If he has helped to cook it, he will be much more likely to try it. Take There is a great kid's cookbook called "Salad People" that has recipes that are healthy and fun for kids to make. Take him shopping with you and have him pick out a new fruit or vegetable to try. The more power he's given, the easier it will be for you.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oye. My son will go the distance but your right, in the long run it'll be best for him. Keep you all updated as soon as the battle is over. Wish me luck! And thanks for the kick in the tush, I really needed it.
    babylotus

Comment by babylotus (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Keep you all updated as soon as the battle is over. Wish me luck!   Sorry hon but you're going to need it!  Once a picky eater always a picky eater and nothing you can do will change that.  I know because I have been a picky eater ALL my life and I'm 47 and I can promise you that my mother lost every single battle except one and I was 36 at the time.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010