Any CafeMoms members have had neck surgery and back surger? If so, has it helped with you pain?

I've had three neck surgeries and replacement of my L5/S1. This surgeries have been done within the last 18 months. I'm still having problems and its very fustrating when I can't do favorite things. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• I had part of my L4 removed 5 years ago. I was in excrutiating pain. It went undiagnosed for 14 months because I had this butthole dr that kept saying it was all in my head and just "aches and pains of pregnancy" well turns out after I got a new dr that would listen and ordered an MRI that not only did I have a herniated disc at the age of 21, but it had ruptured as well due to their neglegence. And because it went on for so long I have permanent nerve damage to my outer left side. I cannot feel anything on the outer edge of my hip to my toes. When I finally got my surgery the orthapedic surgeon told dh that it was the worst he had ever seen!!!! And that he couldn't believe I had hung in there that long and that I wasn't screaming in agony. Isn't that something? Yeah because I was very skinny and petite I couldn't get a soul to believe me. They all thought it was PPD and that pissed me off even more!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was downright onary!!! It was so bad that in the end prior to surgey I was unable to drive, care for my 4 month old, walk or anything. My dad was driving me 2-3 times a week over an hour to get a shot in my hip for an hour or 2 or relief. And I was bawling my eyes out too everyday because I was pretty much bed ridden. I had to crawl to the bathroom and I couldn't take care of my newborn. DH was the only one who knew I wasn't talking crap. There were times when I would stand up and my legs would literally give out and I would fall down and when I would get in the car I would have to move my leg literally with my hands. It was by far the worst time of my life. It was the most painful thing ever. After surgery I had a little pain due to the surgery but it went away and was NOTHINGcompared to what I had. I had a baby 2 years after that and natural childbirth didn't even feel as painful!!! Surgery can be a blessing!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It was also my only option. I had been given some serious narcotics and they couldn't touch the pain and had bad side effects and I didn't want to be drugged up my whole life either. I've never been a pill popper. The only thing I take is vitamins and if I take Tylenol its very rare. All those drugs constipated me really bad and also caused hemmroids. One of them made me halucinate when I was home alone with my baby and that scared me ****less!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I had a PE teacher drop me on my head when I was 14 and a shattered my neck. I am fused and wired from C-2 to C-7, 7 surgeries over 6 years.Thankfully I didn't sever my spinalcord, although it took 5 years to walk again without an aid. I am now 40 and although I live in a certain amount of pain, I wouldn't be alive without the surgeries. I have found that a Physical Medicine DR. can help to ease the amount of pain and I learned self hypnosis to deal with it. The other thing that I did was learn not to listen when they told me what I could or could not do. I started teaching and competing in Country Western and Ballroom dancing. So, find something you love to do, take you time and slowly build your body up. Listen to your body and only do what you feel ready and able to handle right then and the pain you know will come the day after, but never give up. If I had listened I would be in a chair and wouldn't have my 2 boys.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i would have tried anything noninvasive first. i know some people have had success with theses surgeries...
    often, one surgery merely leads to another because of how the spine works.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2010