What would you do?

Today ds who is 5 comes home from school with 2 big bandages on his hand. He tells me that while on the playground a bigger girl who was supposed to be on the OTHER playground for older kids came up to him and without saying a word grabbed both of his hands and dug her nails in as hard as she could. After removing the bandages, sure enough, he had a big sore that had been bleeding and a lot of skin missing. Ds did exactly what I've told him to do in the past, he went to the teacher. All the teacher did was tell the girl to stop. We weren't called by the school, nothing was written about it in ds take-home folder. The girl's teacher wasn't told. She didn't go to the principal's office. It also made ds cry and he's a tough kid so it must have hurt really bad. The principal told us on the first day that he didn't like bullies. I know from my own experiences that the girl will repaet her actions, either on ds or another kid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tread lightly....ds still has to attend school with her and a bullies retaliation can often be much worse than the initial act.
    Give ds lots of kisses and ice cream! You taught him well!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 1:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would set up a meeting with the Principal to rationally address the lack of enforcement on his bullie intolerance. I would really let my son know how proud I was that he did what he was supposed to. I find the lack of communication the most concerning point of the incident. There is never any reason why a child should return home from school having revieved ANY kind of medical attention without thre being some explanaition, and yes a bandage most certainly counts despite what some people may think.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would contact the teacher first and ask what steps are being taken to deal with the bullying and ask why no information about the incident was conveyed to you. The information you gain from that conversation will be invaluable if you need to take the whole thing to the Principle.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i would call, email or write the teacher and ask if your son was saw the nurse and if his wounds were cleaned before bandaged. i would also ask why the bigger girl was out of her area and what would normally be done to prevent this.
    i wouldn't focus too much on the other child.
    remind the teacher that this is your baby and his first experience with school, and you really want it to be a good experience and not a scary experience for him.
    good luck.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree on contacting the teacher and principal. That is totally not OK for him to have marks like that from another child and it to have not been recorded and reported to you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Bullying of any sort, at any age is intolerable. Advocate for your child.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• set up a meeting with the principal ASAP
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Absolutely call the principal ASAP. Send an email if you can. (Email works better with our principal.) That girl needs disciplinary actions. How awful!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Also, take pictures of the injuries and save any info if you go to the doctor.
    Pnukey

• I would call the school and ask why you weren't notified. I would take pictures and take him to the Dr to just make sure its not infected, and tell him if the girl comes near him again, just ask her to leave him alone, nicely or go to the teacher.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2010